Moving Back to the States Part B SEP

azmedsupagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I know that you get an sep for mapd and part d when you move back to the states from living abroad however I can't seem to find anything that says you get the same SEP for Part B enrollment when you return to the states. Would you need to wait until the general enrollment period or would you have an SEP for Part B?

I know that you get an sep for mapd and part d when you move back to the states from living abroad however I can't seem to find anything that says you get the same SEP for Part B enrollment when you return to the states. Would you need to wait until the general enrollment period or would you have an SEP for Part B?
No Part B SEP for those returning from living abroad. They're locked out until next year's GEP. LEP will apply when they do enroll, depending on length of time they waited.

They should use that SEP for Part D within two months of their return to avoid the Part D LEP.

Last edited:
No Part B SEP for those returning from living abroad. They're locked out until next year's GEP. LEP will apply when they do enroll, depending on length of time they waited.

They should use that SEP for Part D within two months of their return to avoid the Part D LEP.

Doesn't this change if they had creditable coverage abroad. We have folks here in Utah that leave on Mormon missions all the time outside the U.S. and drop their Part B, only to pick it up once they get back. I have never heard of any of them getting the LEP. They of course have creditable coverage.

Doesn't this change if they had creditable coverage abroad. We have folks here in Utah that leave on Mormon missions all the time outside the U.S. and drop their Part B, only to pick it up once they get back. I have never heard of any of them getting the LEP. They of course have creditable coverage.

Yes, that does make a difference. If they have an EGHP they do get an SEP-LEC. I responded assuming there were no other SEP available to them. Thanks for adding that. And that coverage would waive the LEP.

Last edited:
Back