Moving to a new state questions

Russling

My son moved from OH to grandmother's in NJ and now in an apt in NYC as a permanent address. His NYC apt has no parking and he does not need his vehicle so it will be kept at grandmothers in NJ. What state does it need to be registered at and insured by. His only real use is when he visits us or drives on weekend . Maybe once a month. Thanks

He owns it, he registers it as a New York resident. He pays New York rates. Be mindful of rate evasion. If it is registered in New Jersey so as to get Jersey tags he pays New Jersey rates but could be asking for trouble with insurer since he doesn't own property in New Jersey

He owns it, he registers it as a New York resident. He pays New York rates. Be mindful of rate evasion. If it is registered in New Jersey so as to get Jersey tags he pays New Jersey rates but could be asking for trouble with insurer since he doesn't own property in New Jersey

Not to mention the fun of explaining to a cop why your tag and driver's license don't match. Particularly to an officer in New York or New Jersey.

ALL insurance companies are watching New York vehicles for rate evasion. You don't want to go down that road. The stickler here is vehicle parked in New Jersey with out of state tags. Some cop with nothing better to do is going to write a ticket for not registering the vehicle in Jersey if it is continuously parked in Jersey

So today dawns bright and squirrelry and the email reads: rates in our state are too high so I registered my car in the next state where rates are lower. Still has current address and I wonder how she registered a car in one state which is garaged in another. She wants her policy rewritten to the less expensive state. She is wondering why I am saying NO

Moving to a new place is always a hard thing to deal with. I am not only talking about the emotional aspect of the question, which is also big actually, I am talking about the whole process of moving, carrying a lot of bags and a lot of stuff from your old place to your new one.
Especially for you, since you have paws for hands, can't talk, and see only in black and white?

This is pretty simple.

Lives in NYC.

Car is in NJ.

Insured Address: NYC
Garaging Address: NJ

He should get an insurance policy in New York, but make sure that the policy for underwriting purposes knows that the car is 'garaged' in NJ. What really matters is insurable interest. Is his name on the title or is it the grandma?

Back