Moving to Another State but Want to Keep My Business

jeffj229

Hello! I am a young agent in my 30's, and I have built a fairly nice book of business in my home state of GA. My wife and I are seriously wanting to move to Florida, and I plan to continue to work in the employee benefits arena there. However, I'm concerned about losing my existing GA clients.

I am thinking of maintaining a small office in GA so as to maintain my presence here. I will also have to come back periodically to renew the business, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done what I'm thinking of doing, and whether they had success at retaining their book of business.

Also, if anyone has knowledge of the FL group health market, I'd love some feedback there. FL seems to have tons of businesses.

Thanks!

I ran it through my leads system. I came up with just as many businesses in the Tampa Bay area as there are in Atlanta.

If you maintain contact with your clients there is no reason to believe you cannot keep them even if you are in another state. If your current business model includes dropping by to see them, personally handling new enrollments, etc it might be a bit more difficult.

Tampa is a good area and you will not have any competition there from other agents.

I have never moved a couple of states away but have moved 2 hours away from a sizeable part of my book of business and I would think it would depend on how your clients deal with you now...

1. Are they coming to your office now?
2. Will the phone number they call to reach you remain the same?
3. Will you travel to them just like you do now to renew business?

If Number 1 is a no and 2 & 3 a yes then I would think you should have no trouble keeping your book even without a physical office in GA...Just don't forget to get a GA Non-Res License.

Sorry for the duplicate threads. Wasn't sure where to place it, to be honest.

That said, I appreciate all of the great feedback.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
They are not coming to my office now. I always go see them. In fact, I worked from home until about a year ago when I felt the need to just get out of the house. I will keep my phone numbers exactly the same, and I plan to just travel up here every 4-6 weeks to meet with clients and renew the business. I typically only see them at renewal time anyway. Otherwise, I'm emailing and talking on the phone with them handling service issues, which I can do from anywhere.

Last edited:
Back