MS Questions for Beginner

NoFault

Expert
Here are a few questions that I have after reading all over this board in regards to selling MS, but cannot find answer to. Have not contract with anyone yet, so there's no training.

1. How do you sell outside of AEP?

2. With the various plans, what plan best fit for clients who requires Rx coverage? Or is it an additional plan outside of MS?

3. Those who are in currently in a private plan such as HMO, PPO, EPO, how do you changed them into a MS plan, and usually how long does the process take?

4. I read somewhere that a Plan will no longer be available next year, what plan is it?

Many more but this is it for now...Thanks for all your helps.

1. AEP has nothing to do with Med Supps (assuming that's what MS means) unless you are trying to move someone from an MA to a Supp.

2. Med Supps do not cover prescriptions. They need a stand alone PDP.

3. This is where the AEP and OEP come in, unless they have a SEP. Unless they are in a guaranteed issue situation i.e. aging in or their plan has left the area or it is their first MA and it's within 12 months, they will have to be underwritten for the Supp. They will also have to show proof of disenrollment from the MA by the Supp. effective date. If they were in an MAPD plan, they will need to enroll in a standalone PDP as well.

4. If you are asking about Medicare Supplements, it's probably Plan J. Plan D and G are changing in 2010 and some other plans are being introduced. This has been discussed on the board many times.

My advice--read the CMS publications Medicare and You and the Guide to Health Ins. for those with Medicare very carefully. They will answer these questions and many more.

1. How do you sell outside of AEP?

If someone is on Medicare, they are eligible to apply for a med Supp (MS) all year long. AEP does not apply.

2. With the various plans, what plan best fit for clients who requires Rx coverage? Or is it an additional plan outside of MS?

Either a MS & a PDP, or a MAPD. Take your pick.

3. Those who are in currently in a private plan such as HMO, PPO, EPO, how do you changed them into a MS plan, and usually how long does the process take?

AEP starts Nov 15th and ends Dec 31st for a Jan 1st eff date.

4. I read somewhere that a Plan will no longer be available next year, what plan is it?

You need to be a little more specific in your question.

We have a county in the Texas panhandle, called Deaf Smith. As soon as things settle down, I am going to research that one-- gotta be a story behind that name...

Deaf Smith Countyis located on the Texas - New Mexico Border and has a very interesting history. The county was named after Erastus "Deaf" Smith, a Texas scout, guide, Indian Fighter and participant in the battle of San Antonio and the Battle of San Jacinto. He was born in New York on April 19, 1787. Smith was "hard of hearing" at an early age which caused him "to remain silent and fond of solitude", this in turn, led him to become observant and get to know the land around him well. This enabled him to pass valuable info for the Texas Revolution. His monument says, "Deaf Smith, The Texas Spy". The county was created from Bexar Territory on Aug. 21, 1876 and was attached to Oldham County for law and court business with Tascosa as the county seat.

Back