Multi-state licensing

bobson

Guru
1000 Post Club
IS anyone licensed for P&C in more than one state? I am thinking of putting a couple of P&C packages together for a couple of different industries and I would like to take this nationwide eventually.

How expensive is it to get licensed in multiple states? How much up keep to keep licenses renewing?

Does anybody else have a nationwide program they've developed?

Yes, We are licensed in MA,RI,CT,NH for now. Trying for FL but they are next to impossible as you need to be licensed by county..... The cost in the Northeast is negligible. One P/L account would cover your cost.

I am license in AZ and needing to get license in CA. Any clue how difficult that is and the cost. Considering it's CA there is probably continuing ed too.

California is one of the few states that does not participate in the NAIC licensing reciprocity program.

For most states, you can license as a non-resident producer with a few clicks online and a $50 or more fee with credit card payments. I needed to get licensed in two other states and the process took about 5 minutes once I found the right place to go. Here are the participating states:

Uniform Treatment / Licensing Reciprocity

I'm licensed in 15 states and I have my agency licensed in 13 states. The kicker is that some states require that you register you foreign entity like an corporation or an LLC before they will give you the license there. I'm in CA and in TX, I'd have to pay $750 to register my LLC there. I do my business under my agency licenses to protect myself. The cost of getting licensed in some places is so high. Then there's the situation where you can't find a carrier to do what you need in another state -- like finding auto carriers in MA. Further, some P&C companies don't want to give you an out of state appointment unless you'll produce a minimum.

Out of all my carriers only 3 are willing to offer me the ability to sell their product in California (I am in AZ). MetLife said they will in 2009.

What products are you able to write a an indepdent with metlife? I've been wondering about approaching them to sell homeowners and auto.

Back