Multiple applications

provide an example of a benign issue

2 different visits to the doc, a year apart, for a sprained wrist. Most folks would take an aspirin, maybe wrap it in an Ace bandage, and go on.

This guy goes to a doc to have the doc tell him the same thing. No breaks. Take some aspirin and wrap it in an Ace bandage.

Why would ANYONE put that on an application?

Every time someone dicks me around like that, or refuses to take my calls and respond to my emails after we put in a lot of work, I send them a form letter in the mail, addressed to the spouse, about how insurance agents are people too, and in all my years, I have never encountered someone with less common decency then they.... It is a pretty harsh letter, and I probably send out two of them a month. It doesn't pay the bills, but it makes me feel much better! About 20% call or email an apology, and twice, I got their business.

I had a similar situation the other day. I arrived to a clients house where we sat down and went over all his options for about an hour. We decided to go with an HSA through World opposed to the other options. As we are filling out the application his wife says, "what about the app we submitted online yesterday with Blue Cross." HUH???? I asked them who helped them and they said no one. I asked them if they wanted to finish the app and use me as their personal broker, they said yes! I made them sign an agent of record form which makes me the broker on the books for that app. One way or another I'm getting them as a client. Some people just don't know better I guess!

As a footnote, more for clarification than anything, when I was taking the app for my carrier he mentioned that he had already submitted the app through the other agent and gave me the option to either wait & see what Time offered or drop out of the running. At that point our discussions had run off & on for almost 2 months with numerous emails back & forth and phone calls.

I still felt I had the upper hand, so I told him I was moving forward. I dont give up easily, especially when I think I have the upper hand.

I opted to move forward, so I can't complain, and that was not the purpose of my post. It was mostly to inform others of what can happen when multiple apps are submitted simultaneously and an APS is ordered.

Blue is different in GA. Once an app is submitted they will not recognize an agent of record unless you have (can't recall the exact figures) something like 200 - 300 individual cases on the books (I don't and never will) or have written at least 100 cases with them in the last 12 months.

Has anyone run into a situation where multiple apps were submitted simultaneously, either by one agent or two agents and an APS was not ordered. If so, what was the outcome? Thanks.

I try to stay away from multiple apps but I have indeed put in multiple apps a few times. It normally involves a case where the underwriting decision isn't clear.

I can put an app into Aetna and Assurant at the same time and as long as an APS isn't ordered I simply review both decisions.

This is nothing you want to get into a habit of doing. First off all, you're technically not allowed to to it per your insurance company. Secondly, there's a cost to underwriting and you're wasting their time. Thirdly, you have placement percentages to hit with companies like Assurant. I'm in their TCP and I need an 80% placement percentage. I can't hit that if I'm just throwing in apps to see who's got the better offer. Use pre-screen.

I just put in an app for a family who's son has mild seasonal asthma. Carrier #1 came back with a 1 year waiver.

I spoke with the client and they decided they would prefer to have it covered and pay more. So I'm figuring Aetna or Blue Cross which will most likely rate them up.

I really don't like submitting multiple apps but in this scenario I kind of have to.

Anyone ever run into this?

Asthma is something I wont mess with in a rider situation unless there are no other choices. In GA I would suggest Aetna or KP. Both will cover without exclusion as long as the individual is accepted by underwriting.

Blue wont cover the condition for at least 12 months, possibly longer and still rate up the policy by 20%.

We all get caught in that trap every now and then. If I have a prospect who is not forthcoming, or seems to be a know it all, I move on. There are too many other people waiting to obtain my services.

Analytical people will "analyze to paralyze".

I had a woman who wanted me to shop around for LTC for her, using the companies that were listed on Consumer Report's top 10 list. Since it was a referral, I played along, wound up losing the sale to an out of town rep, who didn't know what he was doing.

She stopped returning my phone calls, when it came time to fill out the app. And it was only after she was declined did she call me back. I told her there was nothing I could do for her. Sorry.

The more beligerent they are, the more they have to hide.

Back