Mum retired months ago still no Part B or C & D - L564 help

SugarhouseMama

Does / how can CMS verify the facts on an L564 form?
Could an employer favorably sign it, make a friendly mistake?

Case: My bank teller was talking to me about her Mum recently not having heart meds b/c her ins ran out - Mum retired in Aug / the EGHP ended Sept & she hasn't even signed up for Part B !
* Mum is literally scared to fill out government forms ,,, which is why nothing has been done .
For Part B I think she's OK (no 10%penalty) b/c of the 8 mos SEP & 1\1-3\31 General Enrollment,,,, (7\1 eff date)
But Part C & D ?
? Doesn't she only have 63 days from when EGHP ended? NoT 63 days from Part B's initial effective date?
Letter of Qualified Coverage - will HAVE to be produced - there is none now, so how to proceed ?
Oi !

Absolutely not!

That might not be quite as bad as messing with the IRS, but I'd say it would come pretty close.

When I turned 65, I applied for Part A and continued on EGHP's. When I finally lost all opportunities for EGHP coverage, I applied for part B and also created a MyMedicare account. When I looked at that, I observed that they had a page that showed a complete record of all my EGHP coverage carriers since I turned 65.

What is needed is the L564, not a letter of qualified coverage. Bank teller should take mum and an L564 to the bank's HR person and ask for it to be completed. There are some threads on here about employers refusing to complete the form, but they are required by law to do so, and most will do so-it is just sometimes a challenge getting to the person the company authorizes to complete the form.

For Part D, the timeframe is 63 days after the end of CREDITABLE COVERAGE and the penalties are computed by month(s) without coverage. You will have some breathing room on a Med Supp, but, as you are suggesting, you want to get on the Part D app right away after Part B gets approved.

Case: My bank teller was talking to me about her Mum recently not having heart meds b/c her ins ran out - Mum retired in Aug / the EGHP ended Sept & she hasn't even signed up for Part B !
* Mum is literally scared to fill out government forms ,,, which is why nothing has been done .
For Part B I think she's OK (no 10%penalty) b/c of the 8 mos SEP & 1\1-3\31 General Enrollment,,,, (7\1 eff date)
But Part C & D ?
? Doesn't she only have 63 days from when EGHP ended? NoT 63 days from Part B's initial effective date?
Letter of Qualified Coverage - will HAVE to be produced - there is none now, so how to proceed ?
Oi !
Are you English? I ask because of your use of the word "Mum"? :unsure:

How sure are you about that?

Well ..... I thought I was pretty sure, but ...... I have learned you usually don't ask idle questions :)

So, am I missing something there?

(I was presuming when Pt B was approved, it would be for the first of the following month and a PDP application in that preceeding month would also take effect on the first of the same following month.)

Last edited:
Back