Mutual if Omaha Just Left NYS

Interesting link. Thanks for a more in depth explanation of your position. I was aware of a few things on the timeline, but the Iowa accounting practices is a new one and does jump out at me.

I will read more in depth about it.

So going back to the state vs. state issue.... perhaps it is better to frame it as "which state is it most safe for your carrier to be domiciled in?" That probably was a better question to ask before so many of the NY carriers spun off subsidiaries in other states.... lol.

Sure thing. I would like know what else you dig up.

I think the concerns over shadow accounts and their impact on the health of life insurance companies is related to "no lapse Universal Life products" and the premium/face amount guarantees that they provide consumers.

Is that everyone else's understanding, before I reflect further?

I think the concerns over shadow accounts and their impact on the health of life insurance companies is related to "no lapse Universal Life products" and the premium/face amount guarantees that they provide consumers.

Is that everyone else's understanding, before I reflect further?

It's also term, according to the reports I have read.

It would be any product they have to pay out more than they took in coupled with the probability. Term less so because the product usually lapses before there's a payout. It would be GUL's, Guaranteed Annuities, Long Term Care Policies 5% inflation protection is a particular problem.

It's also term, according to the reports I have read.

But we would be talking longer level term like 30 year, not 10 year term. Does that sound right?

----------

It would be any product they have to pay out more than they took in coupled with the probability.

OK, we are now getting close to the game being played between regulators and life company actuaries: Lapse assumptions and lapse rates. Anyone else want to get in on this before I explain my understanding of what's going on?

Back