Mutual of Omaha Rate Increase Hits 10%

You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the A.M. Best ratings for AARP would you?:)

look here

No need to bother though because obviously the folks at AARP only contract with A or A+ or A++ rated carriers.

Of course, only imbeciles and at least half of the client base think that AARP is itself an insurer, but that's a finer point that a few knotheads on this forum seem to have missed.
:err:

The shell games these companies play as the DOI usually has no issues with passing big rate increases. This is another advantage of a MAPD. A lot of MOO folks are stuck with bad health conditions and premiums that go up drastically. with no GI and not much options unless there is a Community rated AARP plan of the sort available in the area they reside.

look here

No need to bother though because obviously the folks at AARP only contract with A or A+ or A++ rated carriers.

Of course, only imbeciles and at least half of the client base think that AARP is itself an insurer, but that's a finer point that a few knotheads on this forum seem to have missed.
:err:

The fact that you just called yourself an imbecile just made my day. Thanks for that. :twitchy:

Is your memory that bad that you can't remember referring to AARP as an insurance company? I've razzed you about it enough times that you should remember. Is Dementia setting in?:biggrin:

You keep on "sticking it' to your clients by putting them with MOFO and their A+ rating. See how they feel about you when their premium's 3 times as much as the B+ carrier and they can't move because of their health. That's funny...you calling anybody a knothead.:D:D:D

Gollini,

For the 27th time, let me explain this to you in simple terms. Pay attention this time so as not to continue to embarrass yourself with your obsession over my posts.

The remark I made about AARP being an insurer many moons ago CLEARLY was meant as a tongue-in-cheek statement based on numerous such comments FROM CLIENTS who erroneously refer to their insurer as "AARP."

You never were clever or insightful enough to pick up on the irony of that remark, despite several follow-up references I made over numerous posts. And now, many months later here you are again, still at it, trying to needle me over something that clearly YOU are the one who never understood in the first place.
:twitchy:

As for your preference to write junk carriers for your clients, based solely on price, one can only wonder why you hold your clients in such low esteem as to think all they care about is the current price of the product. Agents who sell only on price are a dime a dozen. They are a disgrace to this industry (it is *not a profession, incidentally). Word of caution: Just be sure your E&O is up to date, although of course most E&O carriers do not cover you for for substandard rated carriers.

I will continue to hold the interests of my clients first and foremost, as I have done for over 34 years now, only recommending coverage from A-rated or higher carriers. In so doing, I will continue to explain to my clients that rate increases are a fact of life, and while nobody likes increases, the fact is that the larger carriers, such as UHC, Mutual of Omaha, etc. tend to have much more stable blocks of business over extended periods of time. Substandard carriers like the ones you prefer tend to have extraordinary increases from time to time after making the fatal mistake of "buying" business with rates too low to sustain. Given the option, I'd prefer my clients who get "stuck" with a Med Supp carrier to at least get stuck with a major carrier whose long term viability is not in question.

If you have further comments about anything discussed here, have the courtesy to PM me instead of taking up valuable space on the forums. Nobody wants to see your dribble here, nor mine for that matter. But you're the one who came along and started this nonsensical, immature needling; I'm only responding, for purposes of clarification.

Good day.
---
Incidentally, you are the only "knothead" to whom I was referring. Missed that too, I see.
---
Disregard my invitation to PM. I finally decided to use the "ignore user" feature and as you're the only user on the list at this point, it will do no good to PM me.

Last edited:
jbad7 also pushed another A rated carrier in the U65 market. Rates were atrocious in most of the country and their Core Med plans only slightly better than indemnity plans.

But where is Assurant now?

In the Obamacare graveyard.

Jbad7 probably made nice coin on those high priced, high commission plans while his clients suffered.

Gollini,

For the 27th time, let me explain this to you in simple terms. Pay attention this time so as not to continue to embarrass yourself with your obsession over my posts.

The remark I made about AARP being an insurer many moons ago CLEARLY was meant as a tongue-in-cheek statement based on numerous such comments FROM CLIENTS who erroneously refer to their insurer as "AARP."

You never were clever or insightful enough to pick up on the irony of that remark, despite several follow-up references I made over numerous posts. And now, many months later here you are again, still at it, trying to needle me over something that clearly YOU are the one who never understood in the first place.
:twitchy:

As for your preference to write junk carriers for your clients, based solely on price, one can only wonder why you hold your clients in such low esteem as to think all they care about is the current price of the product. Agents who sell only on price are a dime a dozen. They are a disgrace to this industry (it is *not a profession, incidentally). Word of caution: Just be sure your E&O is up to date, although of course most E&O carriers do not cover you for for substandard rated carriers.

I will continue to hold the interests of my clients first and foremost, as I have done for over 34 years now, only recommending coverage from A-rated or higher carriers. In so doing, I will continue to explain to my clients that rate increases are a fact of life, and while nobody likes increases, the fact is that the larger carriers, such as UHC, Mutual of Omaha, etc. tend to have much more stable blocks of business over extended periods of time. Substandard carriers like the ones you prefer tend to have extraordinary increases from time to time after making the fatal mistake of "buying" business with rates too low to sustain. Given the option, I'd prefer my clients who get "stuck" with a Med Supp carrier to at least get stuck with a major carrier whose long term viability is not in question.

If you have further comments about anything discussed here, have the courtesy to PM me instead of taking up valuable space on the forums. Nobody wants to see your dribble here, nor mine for that matter. But you're the one who came along and started this nonsensical, immature needling; I'm only responding, for purposes of clarification.

Good day.
---
Incidentally, you are the only "knothead" to whom I was referring. Missed that too, I see.
---
Disregard my invitation to PM. I finally decided to use the "ignore user" feature and as you're the only user on the list at this point, it will do no good to PM me.

Hahaha, it wasn't tongue in cheek and you know it. I also have 34 years in the Med Supp business. Only an *** would sell their clients over priced insurance so they could have the privilege of having insurance with an A+ carrier who'll screw them every chance they get. You keep right on screwing your clients with your holier than thou attitude.:skeptical:

E & O...WTF? We're not talking life insurance here. Don't you know that if a Med Supp carrier goes under, the policyholder can get a Med Supp with any company that sells them in their state? Hell, that could be a godsend for somebody that had a high premium and wasn't able to qualify to move to a more affordable carrier.

Also, many A+ companies have gone belly up...but you should know that IF you've been in the business 34 years.

And what's this about an invitation to PM? "Seriously dude, shut the **** up." Doesn't sound like any invitation I ever saw and it doesn't sound like someone in their mid 50's, dudette.

Tom, I haven't been in the Medigap business as long as you, but I have been in the health insurance (IFP & group) a tad longer. Here is a partial list of A and A+ carriers that were in the health insurance business for years before they bailed on their customer base, leaving most of them in the cold.

Assurant
Penn Mutual
MONY
Provident Mutual
American Medical Security
Unionmutual
Gulf Life
Pilot Life
MUTUAL OF OMAHA

I am sure there are plenty more. Maybe you can add a few to the list.

Tom, I haven't been in the Medigap business as long as you, but I have been in the health insurance (IFP & group) a tad longer. Here is a partial list of A and A+ carriers that were in the health insurance business for years before they bailed on their customer base, leaving most of them in the cold.

Assurant
Penn Mutual
MONY
Provident Mutual
American Medical Security
Unionmutual
Gulf Life
Pilot Life
MUTUAL OF OMAHA

I am sure there are plenty more. Maybe you can add a few to the list.

That's quite a list there Bob. It doesn't matter that they bailed on their customer base. The only thing that matters is that they had A+ and A ratings.:skeptical:

Would Celtic count. Didn't they bail before Centene bought them? I can't remember if they had an A rating.

Can't recall what Celtic's rating was. They had a rather small footprint in the IFP market but fairly significant in the group conversion business.

There were also several carriers out of TX, A rated, that were heavy in the IFP market.

American National and Unicare were TX based.

Conseco (Indiana?) is another.

TIME Insurance and Fortis. Both A rated carriers.

Philadelphia American, Provident American and Continental General.

American Republic Life may not count since they sold mostly indemnity plans but told people they were major medical.

I think I will stop for now.

Can't recall what Celtic's rating was. They had a rather small footprint in the IFP market but fairly significant in the group conversion business.

There were also several carriers out of TX, A rated, that were heavy in the IFP market.

American National and Unicare were TX based.

Conseco (Indiana?) is another.

TIME Insurance and Fortis. Both A rated carriers.

Philadelphia American, Provident American and Continental General.

American Republic Life may not count since they sold mostly indemnity plans but told people they were major medical.

I think I will stop for now.

I forgot about Unicare. Conseco goes by Washington National now. Time and Fortis, along with World became part of Assurant. Provident American and Continental General by virtue of being sold several times, are now part of Cigna.

Back