Mutual of Omaha Rate Increases

I'm in FL and United American has not had a rate increase in 5 yrs and in Nov they had a 7.6% rate DECREASE! Love that company. Lifetime level commissions too. Now lowest female Plan F rates in some areas of FL. They have been selling Med Supp since the beginning of Medicare and worked with the govt. to design Medicare. A+ rated for 40 years.

A lack of increase in 5 years can mean they were not well priced in the beginning and so they sat on it until other companies took increases and they became relevant. They may still have been priced out of the market and so they took the decrease to get some sales.

Since they filed for a decrease it probably does not relate to them, but FL historically is among the more challenging states to get rate increases approved so just because someone didn't raise rates doesn't mean they weren't trying to.

Good to know there's a decent number of Sunday afternoon armchair QB's on the forum. It sure is easy to kick back and complain about the work actuaries do when things don't turn out "exactly" as planned. The bigger challenge would be to stop complaining on internet forums and go get a job actually doing the work that the actuaries and executives do. It ain't that easy folks. But thanks for the chuckles nonetheless.

BTW, for those of you not following our on-going ego battle, the real gig in my original post in this thread was to suggest that Mr. Know-it-all always seems fit for a fight with major brand name A-rated companies, given his proclivity to sell his clients the lower-priced stuff from less-than-A-rated carriers. Funny how he never seems to have a quarrel with the lower-paid actuaries from the companies that run along the bottom of the barrel.

I get it though. It takes one helluva salesperson to be able to swing folks into higher bracketed plans underwritten by more financially sound companies.

:D

Last edited:
Good to know there's a decent number of Sunday afternoon armchair QB's on the forum. It sure is easy to kick back and complain about the work actuaries do when things don't turn out "exactly" as planned. The bigger challenge would be to stop complaining on internet forums and go get a job actually doing the work that the actuaries and executives do. It ain't that easy folks. But thanks for the chuckles nonetheless.

BTW, for those of you not following our on-going ego battle, the real gig in my original post in this thread was to suggest that Mr. Know-it-all always seems fit for a fight with major brand name A-rated companies, given his proclivity to sell his clients the lower-priced stuff from less-than-A-rated carriers. Funny how he never seems to have a quarrel with the lower-paid actuaries from the companies that run along the bottom of the barrel.

I get it though. It takes one helluva salesperson to be able to swing folks into higher bracketed plans underwritten by more financially sound companies.

:D
:twitchy: What an ***. :twitchy:

AARP's A.M. Best rating is? :wacko:

Back