Mutual of Omaha UW Change

Anyone out there come across an as yet unpublished Mutual/United of Omaha guideline that says if you have not had a check up in the last 2 years, they will limit the benefit period to 5 years? It used to be only "no check up....no preferred."

I had an ap go in with an unlimited period, and they cut it back to 5 years for a guy who answered all the medical questions NO and had a last physical 3 years ago......with full reconsideration in 90 days if he goes and gets a full workup. The next UW guide will supposedly be changed to reflect. Made me look a little silly to the client.

Guess they are getting tougher on guidelines....which makes some sense.....,but I never got the memo. :skeptical:

Herman,
The latest Mutual U/W Guide only says that if someone has not seen a physician within the past 2 years they would not be eligible for a Preferred rate. Nothing in their guide that says benefits would be limited.

There used to be a time where if an applicant had not had a doctor's visit within 2 years, as part of the U/W process there would be a visit by a nurse or paramed who would do an ekg, blood & urine tests, etc. That would suffice as a doctor's visit. Maybe they're not doing that anymore?

You're right.
If their guidelines have changed, it would make sense if they notified their agents. But, when did a carrier ever do something that made sense?

Herman,
The latest Mutual U/W Guide only says that if someone has not seen a physician within the past 2 years they would not be eligible for a Preferred rate. Nothing in their guide that says benefits would be limited.

There used to be a time where if an applicant had not had a doctor's visit within 2 years, as part of the U/W process there would be a visit by a nurse or paramed who would do an ekg, blood & urine tests, etc. That would suffice as a doctor's visit. Maybe they're not doing that anymore?

You're right.
If their guidelines have changed, it would make sense if they notified their agents. But, when did a carrier ever do something that made sense?

I'll assume you have seen the new guide now that shows this requirement....even though you have to hunt for the clause. Also the face to face for 65+ instead of 70+. arrrrgh

Back