Mutual of Omaha

I worked for them in the nineties.

Those of us with gray hair remember Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom TV show. Because of that legacy, they have the best calendars. The calendars have beautiful pictures of exotic animals.

I had mostly good experiences there, but a lot of what you get at a company like MOO is determined by your GA or GM and not just the company.

The company itself is solid and I got good training from them.

Good Luck,

Very true in regards to office manager.

Ask about his/her experience?
How long in insurance and in what capacity?
How long with MOO?
How many of current agents did they hire and are they still there?
Expenses like office rent, laptop lease and the like.

Good luck and agree this manger so far seems on the up and up.

Take your time and ask questions.

I think the interview went well. It was an individual interview. He has been in insurance 6 years, he personally goes out with you on your first appts until you are comfortable, lots of training, said to earn 40K they provide enough leads for half of that, you come up with the rest. They have prospecting training, as well as group association marketing (endorsement by groups such as realtors, etc... They provide $75 per month laptop money. They also said you own your book of business. Vested with renewals for life after 10 years, no fees other than what it costs you to have a home business (stamps, gas etc...). They require 2 day training at regional office (they cover room and food). 3 years ago they got a new regional manager who cleaned house, remainder of agents are mix between 2 new guys and eight who average 12-15 yrs experience. No interest on charge backs. $40 office fee (if i choose, covers phone, unlimited copies, etc...). I asked if he minded me asking so many questions, he said not at all, it shows i did my homework and if I think of any more to just give him a call. he said he was looking for some who wants a career, not just fill a desk. Next step is online profile and background check. Then a interview to go more indepth on commisions, incentives, etc. I feel pretty comfortable about the whole thing.:)

Sounds good.

You may want to go independent at some point. However for most people, the only way to get good training is to work for a company like MOO for a few years.

After a few years you can look at your options and see if you would like to stay or go out on your own.

Good Luck

I am thinking about going back there, are they captive or what? They used to be I thought, then maybe not, who knows?

Even though this post is older, I was looking up MOO.

I have an interview with them this next Monday. I'm new to the business, just gave my hello a little earlier.

They told me that they are semi-captive. It seems they are open to using other companies if their policies do not fit the clients needs. I'm looking forward to an opportunity like this also. Even though being independant sounds nice, it also seems daunting without any experience. I'm hopping this turns out.

devanator

Hello, I have been approached by MOO to work in their local career program. After one interview, this is an open contract meaning I can leave whenever I wish, but I own the book of business. This a non captive position as they have other carriers you can write as well.

Mutal has offered to put me in 3 year trainning program meaning for three years they offer me a salary, computer allowance, lead allowance. They have a local office which I can use the at no cost to the agent.

I am use to direct deposit, which mutual does not offer and they still mail your checks directly to you.

Has anyone else had experience with the career program of MOO, two days of trainning at the regional office and I am ready to go. This office has 6 other agents working out of it and currently the agent who has been there the shortest amount of time has been with MOO for four years.

Hello, I have been approached by MOO to work in their local career program. After one interview, this is an open contract meaning I can leave whenever I wish, but I own the book of business. This a non captive position as they have other carriers you can write as well.

Mutal has offered to put me in 3 year trainning program meaning for three years they offer me a salary, computer allowance, lead allowance. They have a local office which I can use the at no cost to the agent.

I am use to direct deposit, which mutual does not offer and they still mail your checks directly to you.

Has anyone else had experience with the career program of MOO, two days of trainning at the regional office and I am ready to go. This office has 6 other agents working out of it and currently the agent who has been there the shortest amount of time has been with MOO for four years.

I don't think MOO is a horrible plact to be BUT your use of the words "non-captive position" don't seem correct.

If you can contract with any company you want through any brokerage you want, you are non-captive.

If you can sell several companies products BUT you have to do it all through the brokerage THEY tell you to, you are a captive agent.

Not that it is always a bad thing but it is incorrect to say non-captive when you are limited to what you can do.

I don't think MOO is a horrible plact to be BUT your use of the words "non-captive position" don't seem correct.

If you can contract with any company you want through any brokerage you want, you are non-captive.

If you can sell several companies products BUT you have to do it all through the brokerage THEY tell you to, you are a captive agent.

Not that it is always a bad thing but it is incorrect to say non-captive when you are limited to what you can do.

I think Al is doing the same gig with Mutual of Omaha. He would know some of this. I imagine.

Winter

Back