Mutual of Omaha's Underwriting?

term2u

Super Genius
Hey there - I'm about to submit my first case with MoO and was wondering about their UW? The client is pretty run-of-the-mill, with the exception of traveling down to Tijuana, Mexico about 3-4 times per month for work.

I have already spoken with 2 UWs at MoO with regard to the travel to TJ and they said that it wouldn't preclude him from Preferred NT rates. Both AG, Banner and Protective said he'd be an auto decline, which doesn't make sense to me as I believe CA passed a law about not discriminating/rating against future or previous travel? None or these companies really gave me a definitive answer, with the exception of MoO.

Anyway, any thoughts on MoO's UW? Are they pretty similar to the carriers that I previously mentioned. We're kind of pigeon holed with MoO as his cholesterol ratio is a little on the high side of 5.5 and were trying to get him to PNT.

Thanks!

I recall AIG saying a few years ago they didnt care about the laws in CA or FL prohibiting negative actions for travel and that they would go to court over it if need be. They could prove the risk. You shouldn't have had any push back though from Prot or Banner. MoO is a strong carrier and usually easy to work with on offers. You are safe there.

I recall AIG saying a few years ago they didnt care about the laws in CA or FL prohibiting negative actions for travel and that they would go to court over it if need be. They could prove the risk. You shouldn't have had any push back though from Prot or Banner. MoO is a strong carrier and usually easy to work with on offers. You are safe there.

Thanks a lot for the info!

When I called Protective and spoke with their UW, who then checked with their Senior UW, he came back and said "we'd prefer to not participate in this risk, but that every application was evaluated on an individual basis" - No crap! It's almost as if they were saying that they have to abide by CA's travel law if they get an app, but that they were trying to prevent that app from coming in - Hence, the roundabout answer.

Banner's UW was also pretty staunch on not wanting to take it on as well, so it looks like MoO is going to get it, especially due to his elevated cholesterol ratio. I just hate not getting a straight answer on something, especially when it's a law in the CA Insurance Code, and I go out of my way to try to be educated on it in the future.

AG specifically said that they would not take it on and that FL and GA are the only states where they can't discriminate based on future/previous travel. The AG UW even said that there are actually no travel questions on their FL app. Oh well, maybe it will help someone in the future. Thanks again!

Hey there - I'm about to submit my first case with MoO and was wondering about their UW? The client is pretty run-of-the-mill, with the exception of traveling down to Tijuana, Mexico about 3-4 times per month for work.

I have already spoken with 2 UWs at MoO with regard to the travel to TJ and they said that it wouldn't preclude him from Preferred NT rates. Both AG, Banner and Protective said he'd be an auto decline, which doesn't make sense to me as I believe CA passed a law about not discriminating/rating against future or previous travel? None or these companies really gave me a definitive answer, with the exception of MoO.

Anyway, any thoughts on MoO's UW? Are they pretty similar to the carriers that I previously mentioned. We're kind of pigeon holed with MoO as his cholesterol ratio is a little on the high side of 5.5 and were trying to get him to PNT.

Thanks!

We have had mixed experiences with them in underwriting. Cross all the Ts and clearly dot all the Is. Get a reply from the case managers that they got the requested info you send. If you do not see it change in pending call them. I think the choke point for them is the case managers. They are not AIG slow but not quick.

These last two were a young couple in their early 20s. Written and examined the same days. Both Preferred. Two different case managers. She was issued/placed a couple weeks ago. After becoming a pain in the arse his was issued this morning. I can become a big pain.

Florida is really tough to rate for travel unless you're committed to heading to an actuve war zone. And honestly, TJ? Not that crazy compared to the other northern border states. Also, if the client is Hispanic (not to mention he has very good familiarity) I feel a little better than some dork from Fargo wandering around.

Florida is really tough to rate for travel unless you're committed to heading to an actuve war zone. And honestly, TJ? Not that crazy compared to the other northern border states. Also, if the client is Hispanic (not to mention he has very good familiarity) I feel a little better than some dork from Fargo wandering around.

:twitchy:

Yeah, I totally agree and I also heard that FL is the most lenient of all states. Apparently, back around 2005-06 some politician was denied on a life insurance policy, due to upcoming travel to Israel.. As it turns out, the politician was from FL and they were responsible for the law - They actually tried to put a federal bill in-place in 2006, stating that travel should not be a rate-able factor when it comes to life insurance UW, but it didn't go through.

Oddly enough, I'm currently down in TJ about once a week, as my wife is from there and her father recently had a severe health condition, which required us to be down there quite a bit. Although TJ isn't Disneyland, it's definitely not the Wild Wild West!!

Yeah, I totally agree and I also heard that FL is the most lenient of all states. Apparently, back around 2005-06 some politician was denied on a life insurance policy, due to upcoming travel to Israel.. As it turns out, the politician was from FL and they were responsible for the law - They actually tried to put a federal bill in-place in 2006, stating that travel should not be a rate-able factor when it comes to life insurance UW, but it didn't go through.

Oddly enough, I'm currently down in TJ about once a week, as my wife is from there and her father recently had a severe health condition, which required us to be down there quite a bit. Although TJ isn't Disneyland, it's definitely not the Wild Wild West!!

Yeah, it was either us or NYL who I believe started iy. It didn't get any traction on the federal level as McCarren-Ferguson has always been the excuse to push it off on the states. FL, VA, CA, NY, and CO to some extent all have some form of travel/military issues where they have to practically be in downtown Kabul before you can do anything.

Back