My Assurant (Consumer - not Agent) Story

"What do unhealthy health insurance agents do when their policies are discontinued?"

That happened to someone in my office about seven years ago. They paid ridiculously high premiums for about five months (Ohio Open Enrollment) and then were able to get on a group plan.

Without that group plan...I'm not sure what would have happened.

Assurant changing the 2008 calendar year for meeting the deductible from 12 months to 8 months. Suddenly, 8 months constitutes a calendar year and as of 9/1/08 there is $1,200 more in deductibles.

I can empathize with your frustration, but they did not change the calendar, they dropped your old policy form and replaced it with a new one. The newer one had a slightly higher deductible than the old.

Had you been willing to go through underwriting, I am relatively certain they would have offered you a lower deductible.

What do unhealthy health insurance agents do when their policies are discontinued?

The same as anyone else.

They look at available options.

Had you been willing to go through underwriting, I am relatively certain they would have offered you a lower deductible.

And I am relatively certain that it isn't me that is unwilling to go through underwriting. I thought since it had been 5 1/2 years since my husband's cancer diagnosis and he has been cancer free for five years, that he could be medically underwritten. The same length of time has transpired since my son's tumor and he is healthy now also.

Assurant told me they had nothing else to offer. Hence, my search for other options.

"What do unhealthy health insurance agents do when their policies are discontinued?"

That happened to someone in my office about seven years ago. They paid ridiculously high premiums for about five months (Ohio Open Enrollment) and then were able to get on a group plan.

Without that group plan...I'm not sure what would have happened.

I asked for quotes for the ChamberChoice group plan offered through our Chamber of Commerce thinking that it might be the answer. The premiums, depending on the plan, ranged from $1,600 to $2,800 per month - higher than what Assurant wants.

Possibly, it isn't a true group plan?

What type of group plan did your colleague find?

Companies do discontinue policies periodically. Those who are healthy enough to switch to the new cheaper plan do so.

This put the current plan into a death spiral where the pool that are in it are increasingly older and more unhealthy on average because there are no new entrants into the plan.

The people who are older and sicker find there rates continue to rise and the only choice is for the client to raise their deductible because they often can't afford to switch to switch plans and they cant qualify for new insurance for a different carrier.

Your solution is simple. Since you and you son are relatively healthy, get an individual plan for each of you. Then raise the deductible of the plan that your husband is on to a reasonable level where it reduces your premium.

Your husband will still be on the assurant plan but it will greatly reduce the proportionate rate increases

Your age will determine alot with low deductible (1000-1500)

20's couple with child 300-400

30's- 400-500

40's- 500-600/mo

FYI most plans I sell have 2500 80/20 or greater deductible with stop loss of 4500 total max of 2-3

Your main challenge is you meet your deductible annually. If that isnt true of you and your son you should be able to switch. Your husband however is stuvk with assurant

Pipedream, listen to Somarco's comments as he is one of very few agents that actually know the facts. There is more "2 cent" rhetoric posted on this thread than you don't need. I have been a culprit and stand guilty as charged. This is serious concern for which you only the need the insight of a very seasoned agent(s). Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
That experience, pipedream, certainly is awful. One of the reasons I have preferred to market group insurance is the persistency. I have some groups that have been with me in Blue Cross plans for 24 years. Some have dropped off, but that is due to normal attrition----business closed, owner dies, business sold, etc. Of course, as premiums rise I have been able to make changes in coverage to keep it reasonably affordable to my clients.

Back