My auto insurance is going to lapse for 4 days

PookieNumNums

I can't pay my policy for 4 days. I have progressive and live in Michigan. I will get the same policy next Wednesday. Is 4 days going to get me in trouble with the DMV/state ?

Is 4 days going to get me in trouble with the DMV/state ?

At worst it'll mean registration and license suspension but you aren't likely going to know about it until you get pulled over for something.

If you can't pay for your insurance and it lapses I suggest you park your car and take your license plates to the DMV and turn them in temporarily until your insurance is active again.

Do not drive without insurance.

Normally, for 4 days, it won't even be reported to the DMV, though you really do need to be smart and keep the car parked during that time. It may be reported to your lender though, if you owe money on the car.

I have no idea why you would turn in your license plates for that time, that just seems to add troubles to other troubles. I'm sure the DMV would have no idea why you are doing it.

Dan

Normally, for 4 days, it won't even be reported to the DMV, though you really do need to be smart and keep the car parked during that time. It may be reported to your lender though, if you owe money on the car.

I have no idea why you would turn in your license plates for that time, that just seems to add troubles to other troubles. I'm sure the DMV would have no idea why you are doing it.

Dan

djs, Adjusterjack likes to come on this site and make up crazy things, misleading, confusing, and ultimately harming people looking for advice.

I've brought it up to him multiple times, but that hurt his feelings and he believes he should be able to share his opinions - at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately I guess we have to put up with him until he is kicked off the site.

Last edited:

Because like most people with money problems, 4 days can turn into 14 days or 40 days and next thing you know you cause an accident without insurance and you wonder why your world comes crashing down on you.

djs, Adjusterjack likes to come on this site and make up crazy things, misleading, confusing, and ultimately harming people looking for advice.

I've brought it up to him multiple times, but that hurt his feelings and he believes he should be able to share his opinions - at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately I guess we have to put up with him until he is kicked off the site.

Ah, the usual jibber jabber from Markthebroker, a tale told by an ***, full of the sound and fury, signifying nothing.

because owning a vehicle in Michigan without insurance can incur a $500 fine. Turning in the plates removes the vehicle from registration lists. Be happy you don't live in Maryland. $150 for first 30 days, $7 per day afterwards.......unless you turn in the tags. just keeping the tags from your old car can incur the penalty

Back