My Experience with Hometown Quotes

I don't think Ray Kroc would be happy w/ what McDonald's has morphed into after all these years. & I think the original idea of matching up quality folks looking for a quote w/ an agent has also morphed into some sloppy form of a burger.

The burger metaphor was very strange.

The reality about people shopping online is that many of these people do not want to talk to a person. Email them, text them. Some will come around, and some you'll just never talk to. That's the game. Gotta pay to play. It's a numbers game and those people you never talk to are part of the cost.

I buy leads from at least a dozen providers, and HTQ is one of them. I would say their leads are above average quality. And the company is extremely responsive. You want to return a lead? There's a guy in customer service, I think his name is JP, but his IM handle is MC Hammer - shoot him a message and your return is processed. Takes under a minute.

And Bob Klee is a nice guy. He called me the day I signed up and took the time to ask about me and my agency. If you're buying leads in insurance you could do much worse than HTQ.

W Zapp wrote-I earned the right to speak with them when I paid for the lead.
somarco wrote-Are you really that naive?

Please, explain what you mean, Thanks.

W Zapp wrote-What would compel them to keep looking?
somarco wrote Are you really that naive?

Please, explain what you mean, Thanks.

W Zapp wrote-I just signed up with a "Live transfer co" I'll see how that works out & report back.

somarco wrote Can't wait to hear.

Are you being sincere here or are you being sarcastic? On many forums it would be easy to believe that you are being sarcastic & perhaps bordering on rude. However this being a professional forum where ideas are brought to be discussed by mature people that use their real name, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are genuinely interested in the outcome of my desire to grow my agency & I will gladly report back.

----------

HTQ has sold leads over the years to as few as 3 and as many as 8...8 was a huge mistake for both the consumer & the agent. Today it is 4, ...
Absolutely no way you bought the right to have the consumer answer your phone calls or return you calls! That is an interesting opinion you have for sure.

Here let me illustrate clearly what I was saying.

You stated, “They are not answering the phone because they don't want to interact that way until they know who you are. Do you immediately start sending a drip email to them? Earn the right to talk to them.

I took this to mean that in your opinion, it’s not enough that I paid for a lead for a person that presumably requested a quote and I’d like to speak with them. That’s not enough, your saying that in addition to the vendors price tag, I have to be creative, Wiley, cunning, persistent. Inventive, etc.

To which I said & say, That’s why I bought the lead, to bypass those skills I already have & use daily in my other processes.

Honestly, what’s the point of paying for something that is marketed to be a “Hot” lead when in fact it’s often cold or non existent? I didn't say that I want them to call me. I would expect that if they wanted a quote then they would answer the phone.

It’s all gets back to WHY they don’t answer the phone & you yourself said that you use to sell the lead to 8 agents & now it’s down to 4.

The idea that I have to be coached on how to handle these leads speaks volumes. If the lead was of good honest quality, then why would I need to be coached? I just want to speak with the person, if after that they don't buy, that's fine. I just want an "at-bat' Some of these vendors have pine tar on their neck though.

Zapp, I am dead serious. You come across as very naive. Most of us here, self included, have worked almost every kind of lead, including live Xfer.

That’s why I bought the lead, to bypass those skills I already have & use daily in my other processes.

Yes, you really are that naive.

Zapp, I am dead serious. You come across as very naive. Most of us here, self included, have worked almost every kind of lead, including live Xfer.

Yes he sounds naive but what do you expect when the lead company sells you on the fact these are people that went out and actively searched for life insurance quotes but the reality is they wanted x number of points for Farmville and have no interest in the quote.

Can you though explain why you feel this way? I am not at all naive. People that have "bought" into the "process” on how on line leads are to be handled have drank the Kool-aid sold to them by these online vendors. Instead of demanding a better product, some folks defend & attack naysayers that question what was once a great product.

Can you though explain why you feel this way? I am not at all naive. People that have "bought" into the "process” on how on line leads are to be handled have drank the Kool-aid sold to them by these online vendors. Instead of demanding a better product, some folks defend & attack naysayers that question what was once a great product.

Look we say naive because you think you bought the right to speak to them. It is frustrating, believe me. I spend a lot of change on this. However, HTQ never states that it is guaranteed you get them live. If you have a huge percentage of people you can't get live over a month, they will take care of you. However, you need to call them, leave a compelling message, text them, email them some more, call them, and email and text more....call at different times... Do all of these things in different combinations. I call from 5pm to 8pm. I call on Saturday mornings. You need a software to track all of this... This is why we say naive. Just because you don't catch them live, does not mean its free. I do agree that I wish that was the case. But, all it is, is a lead. Oh, and if they are really an attractive client. I send them snail mail with a handwritten note. If it was easy, everyone would do it. I can tell you that Bob and HTQ are a top company to deal with and I proudly spend thousands a month in my small market with them.

Online leads suffer the same ills as TM and DM, except probably worse. Everyone knows the internet is free (at least until Obama get's done with it) and you (consumer) are ENTITLED to an all-you-can-eat buffet of information at no charge or obligation.

I have tried every kind of lead, on the internet and off, and there is no such thing as a perfect lead.

For the last several years I work off self generated internet leads and referrals. My self gen leads shake out something like this.

40% are completely bogus.

Another 40% never answer their phone or respond to email.

The remaining 20% are potential prospects until I find out they had a brain transplant last year. Others can't make up their mind, won't move because AARP (or BX is better than all the rest, not enough $$$ difference to move, if you won't take my wife you won't get me .......... pick a reason.

On average I sell about 5% unless during AEP when the numbers get better.

FWIW, I have 40 years in the health insurance business both as a wholesaler and retailer. Pretty much seen it all.

I don't chase prospects. Never will. Enough low hanging fruit out there to fill my pipeline and write 100+ Medigap plans a year. That, plus my existing block, is enough to keep me happy and off the streets.

Repeating myself, you are naive.

you need to call them, leave a compelling message, text them, email them some more, call them, and email and text more....call at different times...

I agree, at least in part. Probably just a difference in the way you and I do business.

I call, one time only, and leave a message. If they don't have voice mail, I will call again, perhaps 2x - 3x at different times starting with the time of day they were on my site.

Have no way of knowing if the number is cell or not, but would never text. Keep in mind I am working the 65+ crowd. Your market may be different.

I rely quite a bit on my follow up emails to convey the message. Always like it when someone doesn't return my call, or gave me a bum phone number, but calls or emails me a few weeks (or months) later and wants to do business.

Look we say naive because you think you bought the right to speak to them. ......

For the last several years I work off self generated internet leads and referrals. My self gen leads shake out something like this.
Repeating myself, you are naive.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't mind if you call me naive. I'm trying to help you, show you what these leads really often are. I answered the "right to speak to" bit in a previous post. I am not talking about HTQ in particular just leads vendors in general.

Talking about self generated leads or referrals is a waste of time because that is a completely different animal and has nothing to do with this so who cares.

I'm talking about Auto & home leads, I'm sure there are some vendors out there that sell health ins. leads.

So although it looks like you don't & haven't bought on line auto or home lead in some years, if at all, can you, somarco, now please tell me how I am naive?

Latest posts

Back