My Experience with Hometown Quotes

So I Figured that I’d give HTQ a try & I was completely fair & I honestly worked each lead as much as possible. Heck I even helped Bob with a faulty phone # on his website.

I'd like to say that I believe that I would have gotten similar results from any other on line lead vendor.

I use Velocify, their e-mail Drip program works great with leads like this along with the reporting, tracking & following up. I left several pleasant & quick vm's that requested a call to action by e-mail or return call.

Here are my results.

61 Leads ( I was going to wait until I got 100 leads, but I think this is fair.)

32 leads (50%) Absolutely no good! I.E., Not at all interested….wanted quote for a line I hadn’t requested…thought they were filling out something for a free this or that.. a child messing around on parents pc. All verifiable & honestly accurate on my part.

11 quotes. Some I won’t write the others I can’t say one way or another.

18 leads are still between call attempt 2 & 6 with no contact yet made & most going right to vm.

A lot of these leads were stale or dated as well.

My take? Not worth the time invested.

After a few phone calls you find yourself embarking on a new mission with the
old mission (gaining a customer) now firmly in the rear view mirror. The new mission is validating the lead! You have 7 days to find out if they even want a quote. That’s where you have to get creative. Using different phone #’s to trick them into thinking it’s not you calling, telling them that you are “obligated” & must speak with them. Feeling a sense of accomplishment when you finally get in touch with them to find out that the lead is no good.

Then you have to login & go onto the HTQ site & complete a credit request with a reason then track the results.

I spent $600 on this, Maybe I’ll break even, but I don’t see it happening.

Instead, I’m now going to buy “SalesGenie”, I have a SAN# & will do more cold calling. I have always liked it & I control who is the prospect.

Buying leads benefits one person: the lead seller. Self-generate your own business leads. Have prospects call you. When you do this, you will have financial freedom.

Well the % of leads that are absolutely no good is up to 60% !

Also-

Another snag

When applying for credit if one trys to use the "best" fitting reason for a credit request, if it doesn't match up on the other side, the following response is generated;

"--Incorrect use of Return Reason of Incorrect_Data. Consumer not interested in a quote is not incorrect information. Please use Did_Not_Request_Quote for proper processing in the future--"

The ability to r-apply for credit under the requested reason is not available. So then you have to send an e-mail to your Rep & ask again for a credit, waiting now to see if the 2nd request for a credit is granted.

Well the % of leads that are absolutely no good is up to 60% !

Also-

Another snag

When applying for credit if one trys to use the "best" fitting reason for a credit request, if it doesn't match up on the other side, the following response is generated;

"--Incorrect use of Return Reason of Incorrect_Data. Consumer not interested in a quote is not incorrect information. Please use Did_Not_Request_Quote for proper processing in the future--"

The ability to r-apply for credit under the requested reason is not available. So then you have to send an e-mail to your Rep & ask again for a credit, waiting now to see if the 2nd request for a credit is granted.

Do not buy leads; or stop whining.

those that learn to generate their own leads are generally more successful and whine alot less

Yes. I really do not receive any false information on leads I generate. Fairly close to 100% accurate information. Maybe 1-2% of leads prefer to not provide a phone number and write "email only" on their request. I do not ever have any issues.

Buying leads and wasting time chasing ghosts is ridiculous.

Yes. I really do not receive any false information on leads I generate. Fairly close to 100% accurate information. Maybe 1-2% of leads prefer to not provide a phone number and write "email only" on their request. I do not ever have any issues.

Buying leads and wasting time chasing ghosts is ridiculous.

Been offline a bit traveling so thought I'd join in this evening.

First: for those of you that know "LGilmore," a long time member here on the forum from WA state. I consider Larry a friend & I received an PM from him on the forum a couple days ago. He's in the hospital & could really use our thoughts & prayers. He's a very good agent, husband & father. He could use some cheering up, so if you know him or maybe you just have read a post or two....send him a PM as he did to me today. He didn't have his computer so he couldn't remember my phone number or email, but he knew how to log onto the Forum here to send me a message. So I'm sure he'll receive your message as well.

Maybe I need to make a post about him but not sure which "Forum" to post in. Sam, if possible, perhaps you could assist in that? I know Larry would love to hear from his online buddies here.

+++++

LTC advisor. If you are doing several thousands of leads/month using PPC advertising on Google/Bing and you only get 1-2% bad leads.....then you are a genius! It wasn't that good back in 2003-2006 & it never has been. If you can do that well on PPC then you could make millions selling what you know to internet lead providers in all the verticals there are: Insurance is just one. How about education, mortgage, attorney, home improvement, etc? You should take out a booth at LeadsCon & clean up. You'd never have to write another LTC policy in your life with those kind of results....seriously. Those are really incredible results.

Plus unless one writes in their whole state or better yet, several states, it is even harder to drive a large quantity of quality leads. That is just a fact.

Zappman: have we refused to give you credit for any bad leads? I know we have not. Yes, it can sometimes be a pain to return them as we have a known issue in our system that once a lead is refused you have to ask for the credit via email. We'll have that fixed by June but we've had other important projects to put our IT team on. I don't like it either but we're stuck with it for now. We analyze the data so if one turns a lead in as a "bad phone number" & yet the phone number is good, then we have to turn it down. One can still request credit via email to "[email protected]" & our customer service folks will look into it as they've done for you.
We don't keep agents money if they want a refund. We work with our agents to help them with ideas that really work. But not everyone can make internet leads work & I get that. Not everyone can make x-dating work either. Or direct mail. Or radio/tv ads. But yet, some folks do as we all know.

Sorry to be late to post but I've got a lot going on these days & been traveling too much.

Please if you know Larry Gilmore, "LGilmore," please send him a word of encouragement.

All the Best to my friends here.

Bob, Thanks that's very kind of you to say. I will try and call you soon as I have just been moved into a transitional care unit at another hospital.

Long story short, I now have 50% less toenail fungus men tend to get. Also any future pedicures will be half price. :)

I am gaining first hand experience in having claims rise above several hundred thousand dollars. I have a case manager now with the insurance carrier. She actually got the ball rolling for the transitional care.

I also am in the process of collecting on my BOE and Individual DI policies that I had with NYL and are now handled by UNUM. So far very impressed with my health insurance, not so much with my disability insurance. UNUM could do a better job helping me with my claim. They want everything mailed and seem not to want emails answering the information. In my situation kind of a PITA. The thing is I know they will pay, I will jump through their hoops until it gets too silly, then I will bring the OIC in.

One thing to express to agents on this forum. If you don't have disability insurance on yourself or your office.. get some. I never thought that when I blistered my feet 9 months ago camping that I would filing claims and dealing with an amputation. There is some peace of mind knowing at some point I will get a disability check for the entire period for both income and business expenses back to day one of the elimination period.

Depending on the next 6 weeks and how I recover by staying off my feet, I have can have a normal life. I don't get a mulligan on this one as if I mess it up, they have to take another big piece of my leg. Wish me luck. I hope to be back in my office asap and brewing beer too.

Please keep in mind DI for yourself and your business. You never know if you'll need it, but having it reduces a lot of stress when you're in a situation like mine.

cheers all.

Back