My First Day

souldeux

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm presently on my first day of being full-time self-employed as an independent agent. I am super duper nervous, but I suppose things are going alright.

I've made about fifty calls today over three and a half hours (I'm not fitting in nearly as many calls-per-hour as I thought I'd be able to). So far, I've had:

Two people who wanted to change their individual plans and requested that I call them back later on today.

One person that wants to put his nine employees on a group plan.

A few angry folks who have hung up on me, but far fewer than I thought I'd have.

Lots and lots of voicemails.

I feel sort of discouraged until I get up and step away for a second. Three decent prospects after 3.5 hours of calling, I don't think that's too bad...is it?

So far, I'm still trying to find what works for me. My script feels a little unnatural right now, but I think that'll come with time.Anyway, that's my story -- just thought I'd share while waiting for my webinar to start!

First of all, 50 calls is a very low volume of calls - even manually dialing you should be able to dial 40 numbers in an hour. I'd also heavily recommend using an auto-dialer which will triple the amount of calls you're able to make manually.

I am looking in to getting a predictive Dialer, has anyone had good luck with them and any good companies to go threw? right now im calling 48 an hour with 1 appt for evey 25 talked to (about 1 appt. for every 1.5 hours of dialing.) I have to call 4 hours per day to generate 3-5 leads.

I would guess that if telemarketing was your main source of prospecting that three to four hundred dials a day would be necessary...

Depends on your revenue goals. Typical numbers in my market...

50 dials per day = 1 new group plan per week

50 contacts = 1 new IFP application (with a dialer that would take you about three hours). I don't track dials made and have no idea what that number is due to using a predictive dialer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I personally use Professional Telemarketing Solutions (www.professionaltelemarketingsolutions.com). Month to month to cost is about $200, I pay quarterly and it works out to about $150 per month.

Last edited:
I would guess that if telemarketing was your main source of prospecting that three to four hundred dials a day would be necessary...

Nailed it on the head. I was averaging one new client per 3 hours of calls using the auto-dialer which dialed 100 numbers her hour on average - or 300 dials = 1 client.

Look at it anyway you want. It's $700 average commission divided by 3 hour or $233 per hour. Not bad for a supplemental activity.

I have to start hitting the phones myself. Do you cold call straight out of the phonebook or do you have a list?

Latest posts

Back