My first few weeks as a Health Agent in FL

L

LynInDaytona

Hi, first off thank you all once again for creating this wonderful forum.

Back in April I spent a month or so reading postings on here to help me pick out which Health/Life Agency I wanted to work for. I knew it wasn't going to be Liberty National, UA, NAA or UGA all of which contacted me for an interview.
I was lucky, I interviewed with an Agency for Blue Cross of Florida.

However what I should have done was read the postings on contracts, comissions and all the other information a new agent NEEDS to know.

So I spent 6 days unpaid training, signed a contract for 20% commission and no renewels where I couldn't sell for Blue Cross for 24 months after I left the company. They gave me my keys, my alarm code and sent me on my way with my cell phone as my business line. I was excited to get to my new (satalite) office! It took me exactly 2 hours to figure out it was 2 doors down from a parole office :). Day 2 A very nice young man who was waiting to see his officer followed me into the office as i was turning the alarm off (he needed to use the bathroom). I called the main office, they wanted to know why I didn't like the front door, my answer was " I am suppose to lock myself inside here all day?" Yes, evidently that is what I was suppose to do. So day 4 rolls around, I'm locked inside, I look out the window and there is another nice young man taking a lil nappy on the sidewalk,he happend to see me look at him SO he moved on closer to the window sitting on a trash can showing me his *stuff* I was thinking wow I could working behind a convience store counter and not get this much action. I emailed my trainer he wanted to know why I didn't call the police, my answer *you don't call the police in THIS area*. Day 4 was my last day. I had set 4 appointments for the following week and left all the information on my desk after I called and told them I was leaving.

This all was back in June, I now have my General Lines license as well as my Life/Health/Variable Annuity.

The point of my little storey is this for the new agents like myself. Get all your questions answered BEFORE you sign on to something so you at least have an idea what you're in for.

This Forum is FULL of usefull information. If I had taken the time before to read it all, I'd probably still have made the same mistake haha.

Another piece of advice. Pick up the phone book, look in I for insurance under the yellow pages and get an idea of HOW MANY Insurance agents are in your area.

Daytona is LOADED with them.

So now its time for some advice for me. Though I have a much better understanding of the insurance industry now, I still am having a hard time finding out where to start.

Thank you for your time, Lyn :)

Oh that I know, I'm just waiting my turn. :)

*chuckles* OhWhy, well I can go back there and ask him to show it again, I am postive he won't mind haha.

Ty DarryIVK, My 2 steps back made me get my general lines license. I am sure I have 10 more back steps to go before it all works out. I'm in it for the ride :)

Thank you, HomeService. I have an interview tomorrow with a well known Life company.

LynInDaytona, hilarious post. :D Sorry for your experience. Most of us have had experiences of being with the wrong company, not reading contracts, etc. Unfortunately, it seems the way that the majority learn this business. How many agents are in a market does not make any difference. Most of them don't work very hard or smart. Interview with every company that you can and talk to everyone. Eventually you will find your niche. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back