My Title at the Office

arinuch73

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for some advice. I have been hired (a year ago) to be a marketing/sales rep for an independent agent. I have been bogged down with service work since I started here (and frankly it was due to the lack of personnel to support the office and servicing clients). The principal agent has finally realized that he must hire a clerical/office assistant to free me up so that I can actually do what I was hired to do. His future plans (and mine) are to eventually become a principal agent. OK. I hope that was enough background.

My question is this: I have business cards that state that I am a "Licensed Customer Service Representative" but I am concerned that when I am networking, etc that does not really give me much "authority" as an agent, which basically I am because I am licensed (in P&C and Life/Health and for over 10 years now). I know for myself if I was handed my card and told that I could "sell" you insurance I would think " hmmm how can she sell if she is only a CSR?"

Any suggestions on how to approach the principal agent to possibly change my label. I feel I would have more success in networking. Suggestions on what that label should be?

Thanks so much to those who read and respond!!

Ariana

That is easy, become the Lone wolf he hired you to be and break some rules. Start by Throwing the box of cards you have away, hand the owner a $20 bill and tell him you want a new card that has the title of your choosing. Or go make your own for $20

Last edited:
That is easy, become the Lone wolf he hired you to be and break some rules. Start by Throwing the box of cards you have away, hand the owner a $20 bill and tell him you want a new card that has the title of your choosing. Or go make your own for $20
Hi Shawn:

Thanks so much for your reply!

I would totally do what you suggest accept the principal agent/ my boss is a control freak. He wants to be informed in on every aspect of my job. He is a micro-manager. I like that we have weekly meetings but he will still bug me about a client and if I have a task completed or not even when the task is not due until sometime in the future... well, I'm going on and on. Lol. I was going to just approach him with the idea. He is very approachable at least!

But what title should I use? Marketing Rep? Sales Rep? What would get my foot in the door to people I am networking with (potential customers, etc.)?

Thank you!!

Manager of Business Development

He hired you for a position that requires a hands off approach, to hunt, Alone! Hopefully because you are that person. Hopefully because you were born to hunt! If you are that person. Then tell your control freak boss you threw away he cards and you want new ones made with the title above. And tell him you want to do what you were hired for- to hunt; not farm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the website - I am very familiar with Vista Print but please refer to my reply to Shawn Walker.

Ariana

----------

He hired you for a position that requires a hands off approach, to hunt, Alone! Hopefully because you are that person. Hopefully because you were born to hunt! If you are that person. Then tell your control freak boss you threw away he cards and you want new ones made with the title above. And tell him you want to do what you were hired for- to hunt; not farm.
Shawn:

Woot! What an empowering message! I will approach him today!! I need more messages like this to keep me going. I am still new to the sales aspect of this business!

Ariana

Ok, another question / conundrum I have is this:

I get paid renewal commissions now as my contract states but now he is wanting to change my contract so that I am receiving just the initial commission. I am still a little upset about that. So, the title of "agent" as suggested by another member won't fly.

When I was hired I was told that he wishes to grow his business such that he can hire a CSR to support me (and him) and I would become a "sub-agent" then he plans to start to "manage the agency" as opposed to selling - this will be a few years down the road. But he will be hiring a CSR soon to pick up the servicing because he has realized that I cannot sell with the time I have that is taken up by servicing.

He went to a seminar about managing agencies and he has purchased a program that has all managing aspects covered (employment forms, time management systems, etc.) One of the things it states is that no CSR gets renewal commissions they only receive a bonus or the initial commission for every policy that they write under the agreed upon conditions. I do not know the name of this program.

I wish I did, I would be doing my own research on it. It seems that he is just going to start implementing it. We as employees should have some background first, I feel.

So, my boss is approachable but he does not like bold approaches. He is very protective of his agency and his reputation. I am going to use the "make this look like it was his idea approach" on changing my title but not sure how to approach him on the other things. He basically told me that he was changing my contract whether I like or not....

Ariana

Thanks for the website - I am very familiar with Vista Print but please refer to my reply to Shawn Walker.

Ariana

----------

Shawn:

Woot! What an empowering message! I will approach him today!! I need more messages like this to keep me going. I am still new to the sales aspect of this business!

Ariana

So are you going to be looking for contracting in Live or P&C?

He is a control freak and you are going to come at him with the I am Lone Wolf let me hunt? And you want to be a Lone Wolf in his house?

Good luck.

So are you going to be looking for contracting in Live or P&C?

He is a control freak and you are going to come at him with the I am Lone Wolf let me hunt? And you want to be a Lone Wolf in his house?

Good luck.
Per my recent post/reply:

...my boss is approachable but he does not like bold approaches. He is very protective of his agency and his reputation. I am going to use the "make this look like it was his idea approach" on changing my title...

I am hoping this works. What you suggest?

Ariana

Back