MY TOP 10 TIPS FOR NEW AGENTS (Life Insurance mainly)

I am looking for a career transition and have committed to this endeavor by passing the Life, Accident & Health exam and working on the Property/Casualty exam. I intend on selling insurance and financial products as a supplement to another service business. Depending on the "legality" of my endeavors, I am attempting to start an RIA and sponsor myself in taking the series 7 & 66 (still researching the possibility of this, knowing this is likely to be a dead end).

Here are my questions:

1. What's the best way to become independent without ever going captive? As you can see from above I am doing everything I can to not be under someone else's thumb.

1a. Any firms that any of you know of that will allow you to sell their products with little experience? I'll be checking out some of the companies from the previous post.

2. Is there a good read on lead generation? or, does everyone like to keep this stuff to themselves?

I am looking for a career transition and have committed to this endeavor by passing the Life, Accident & Health exam and working on the Property/Casualty exam. I intend on selling insurance and financial products as a supplement to another service business. Depending on the "legality" of my endeavors, I am attempting to start an RIA and sponsor myself in taking the series 7 & 66 (still researching the possibility of this, knowing this is likely to be a dead end).

Here are my questions:

1. What's the best way to become independent without ever going captive? As you can see from above I am doing everything I can to not be under someone else's thumb.

1a. Any firms that any of you know of that will allow you to sell their products with little experience? I'll be checking out some of the companies from the previous post.

2. Is there a good read on lead generation? or, does everyone like to keep this stuff to themselves?

First if you are opening a RIA you want the series 65 the series 7 is for a Registered Rep under a B/D. What do you want to do because these three licenses/registrations put you all over the board. I know the regultory environment is signifigantly lower as a RIA than a B/D but don't you think you should have some experience before taking that on by yourself? In regards to P&C without experience and an existing book it will be difficult to get direct appointments you may need to join a cluster. Life and Health is very easy to get appointed with carriers.

First if you are opening a RIA you want the series 65 the series 7 is for a Registered Rep under a B/D. What do you want to do because these three licenses/registrations put you all over the board. I know the regultory environment is signifigantly lower as a RIA than a B/D but don't you think you should have some experience before taking that on by yourself? In regards to P&C without experience and an existing book it will be difficult to get direct appointments you may need to join a cluster. Life and Health is very easy to get appointed with carriers.

You are correct on many levels and one of the reasons for the questions I am asking. I am purposely all over the board, attempting to learn where I truly want to be. My first vision was a tax practice that offered a one stop shop. Knowing this would be too broad (at first anyway). You are correct I may be biting off more than I can chew, but it wouldn't be the regulations that would scare me off. I am an auditor by trade and work primarily on compliance issues. Selling is what keeps me up at night...can I? cant I? I am looking at taking the nosedive mainly because I am determined to STOP working to make someone else rich. I have drive, I can work hard and barriers are things meant to be solved, not something to detract from the overall mission.

I have been reviewing my options in all areas and am considering going captive with NYL to get my foot in the door and get started doing something. This wont do much for P&C, of course but I'll take the exam to open more opportunities. I already looked at several opportunities, including NAA which I passed on after I heard the MLM pitch and before I came here and noticed they are synonymous with 'scam'. That was a bit disheartening, considering a family member was the one telling me to join after I asked for their advice. He says he's been doing well for years, but anything MLM is not for me.

I am brand new to this industry and sales(real sales anyway), and I even just posted a thread basically begging for help because the guy who put me through insurance school and gave me a "job" -- more like a spot on the agency roster -- hasn't taught me AT ALL HOW to sell insurance, when he promised to take me under his wing and all that. I've had my license(2-15, in Florida) since October, and it is now March, and I don't have a single sale. I just don't know what to do to be honest. But this post is Awesome, and really has given me some perspective. This whole Website is EXACTLY what I have so desperately been needing, and your post is yet another gem of wisdom I know will benefit me hugely going forward. Thank you.

- Justin Hamacher

I am brand new to this industry and sales(real sales anyway), and I even just posted a thread basically begging for help because the guy who put me through insurance school and gave me a "job" -- more like a spot on the agency roster -- hasn't taught me AT ALL HOW to sell insurance, when he promised to take me under his wing and all that. I've had my license(2-15, in Florida) since October, and it is now March, and I don't have a single sale. I just don't know what to do to be honest. But this post is Awesome, and really has given me some perspective. This whole Website is EXACTLY what I have so desperately been needing, and your post is yet another gem of wisdom I know will benefit me hugely going forward. Thank you.

- Justin Hamacher
Two sides to every story. you mentioned the GUY who put you through school. Did he pay for you to go through school? If he did it would make sense that he give you some direction and not just have you take up space. Phone, desk, etc. Perhaps you should examine yourself. THere is no free lunch. Good Luck

Back