MYGA sales growth dominates among deferred annuities in 1Q 2022, Wink report finds

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

MYGA sales growth dominates among deferred annuities in 1Q 2022, Wink report finds
bigstock-column-chart-of-quarterly-sale-421990367.jpg

Latest sales report shows a 2.2% increase over 1Q 2021 deferred annuity sales.
Continue reading the Original Article.

interesting headline giving the impression that MYGA sales were up the most.

From reading the data, it appears to show Index Annuity sales were up 14.5% in 1st Qtr 2022 compared to 1st Qtr 2021, whereas MYGA was 9.8%.

Regardless, looks like 1st quarter 2022 had many buyers looking for safety of a guaranteed rate or guarantee of principal & away from variable.

interesting to see MYGA average commission is now down to 1.79%. Guessing that means a large majority of MYGA sales are coming via bank channels/direct/RIA/brokerage house partnerships

upload_2022-6-1_12-52-8.png

interesting to see MYGA average commission is now down to 1.79%. Guessing that means a large majority of MYGA sales are coming via bank channels/direct/RIA/brokerage house partnerships
My guess is that most agents are writing the shorter surrenders. 3 year MYGAs pay around 1.5% and have rates that are very competitive with longer durations.

My guess is that most agents are writing the shorter surrenders. 3 year MYGAs pay around 1.5% and have rates that are very competitive with longer durations.

Yep. The majority of MYGA's I sell are shorter duration. I may write the occasional 5 year, but not very often (probably haven't written a 5 year in the last 3-4 years).

Back