NAA -- Dont Bash it Before You Read! Input Appreciated!

BostonCloser

So heres my deal; any input is appreciated...

Im 21 and currently about to enter my last year of undergrad at a large university in Boston. I will recieve a Bachelors in finance June 2008.

I do not plan on riding my degree into a small time corporate job with a salary pay. I am made for sales and will remain in sales until my asset column far far far outweighs my liabilities. I have an investors mind--not so much of an entreprenuers. I want to be a wealthy person mentally and financially.

Now I am young, but ahead of my clown classmates in learning curve and in aspirations with direction.

This past March I took the real estate salesperson license course and passed the test no problem.

On my 21st Bday in April I started working for a rental agency renting apartments for the summer. Im having consistant 20K rental months and love the commissions, but know that the season is near the end (dramatically supresses from Sept.-Dec.) and know I need to keep making money and eventually prosper into a nice lucrative career by next year around this time.

I LOVE real estate, but sales is a much different game than rentals and with school starting this Sept. I will not have the focus needed to close those types of deals. That's not to say that when the times comes, it may be the right thing for me (residential, commercial, land, anything with RE).

Now this is where the possibility of NAA comes in, and please, don't start talking trash of NAA, but rather look at it from MY prospective and what it is for ME, please. From what I understand, in MA, all thats needed is a life license (which I know is much easier to get than the Series 6,7, etc.) to work for NAA.

I want to know if it is a lucrative opportunity to hobby in order to make money while 1. Going to School 2. Obtaining my Series Licenses and 3. Finding other opportunities to make money.
:idea:

I am not talking about NAA being a life-changing career opportunity for me, but rather a nice inflow of cash while getting the jist of the differences in selling and closing in the industry.

Let me know what you guys think! Sorry for the lengthy post!

There is nothing wrong with having drive and desire. Those are attributes of champions - I commend your forward thinking at such a young age and am sure you will be successful in whatever you choose to do. However, please do not enter into the insurance field.

I say that because although your head is in the right place, your heart is nowhere to be found. This business is all about doing the right thing for the client and not about the money. If you do the right thing, the money will follow - not the other way around, it is not a way to get rich quick.

People who are only in it for the money end up screwing the client and contributing to the already damaged image of good agents/brokers. It has been damaged by years of people acting like amateurs rather than performing their duties as professionals, and placing their needs/desires first without regard to the true needs of the clients.

If you really want to act like that, then the NAA would probably be a good fit. Those carpetbaggers seem to possess the attitude that you have so eloquently described. I wish you all the best, but I would rather see you rob banks than rip off clients. I hear there is lots of money to be made doing that too.

There is nothing wrong with having drive and desire. Those are attributes of champions - I commend your forward thinking at such a young age and am sure you will be successful in whatever you choose to do. However, please do not enter into the insurance field.

I say that because although your head is in the right place, your heart is nowhere to be found. This business is all about doing the right thing for the client and not about the money. If you do the right thing, the money will follow - not the other way around, it is not a way to get rich quick.

People who are only in it for the money end up screwing the client and contributing to the already damaged image of good agents/brokers. It has been damaged by years of people acting like amateurs rather than performing their duties as professionals, and placing their needs/desires first without regard to the true needs of the clients.

If you really want to act like that, then the NAA would probably be a good fit. Those carpetbaggers seem to possess the attitude that you have so eloquently described. I wish you all the best, but I would rather see you rob banks than rip off clients. I hear there is lots of money to be made doing that too.

As I am new to insurance, I will take your post into deep consideration.

I hadn't gave too much thought to the much higher ethical responsibility of insurance sales opposed to other markets---like software or something...

Very good point, thanks for the response...

Wow, did he really deserve all of that.

Winter

Yes, basically the tone of his post was that he wants to get rich and in the meantime he'll go slumming with NAA just to make a buck. That was my take on it.

I agree... Insurance is much more than making money... Sure, that's the big picture and anyone that says they are not financial motivated is full of ****!! But, even from the perspective of being a totally money driven person... it's hard to stay rich when you get sued and lose your license for pushing products that are not appropriate just to make a buck.. I could have a lot more money in the bank if I were an unethical sales person, but how long would it stay there and could I sleep at night?

I think the best philosphy for a young, new agent when considering a product... if you would recommend it to yourself, your parents, or your grandparents it's probably a good product... if it's something you wouldn't, you are not doing what's in your client's best interest.

I am not now, nor ever been affiliated with NAA. However I am trying to figure out why selling people life insurance, that currently have NO life insurance is unethical, would jeopardize your license, or cause you trouble sleeping at night(?).

When that death benefit check is cut, I don't think the client will be complaining, do you?

Back