NAIFA: Is Everyone Here a Member?

insurance404

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Is everyone here a member of NAIFA (National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors)?

Membership

Honestly, it's a great industry and if you want to protect your livelihood its best to join an organization that supports you as an agent in ALL lines of Insurance & Investments.

Yes, they are a bit general, yet its the largest organization that really does work hard to make sure Congress and Regulations dont screw up this industry as much in the future...

I benefit by connecting with awesome other agents in the Seattle area by surrounding myself with other successful agents!

YouTube VIDEO on why you should JOIN!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dF2Wo0rHTrE&feature=youtu.be

I believe the more accurate question would be, Is Anyone Here a Member? Even in my time at a career office, very few were members.

Back in the NALU days almost every agent in our area was a member. There were chapters all over the state of TN. We had a chapter in Athens and another 30 miles away in Cleveland. Then they changed their focus from insurance agents to "advisors", started raising the dues and now there only 10 chapters in the entire state.

I don't know of any association in the financial industry that has the interests of insurance agents or advisors FIRST. All the ones that I know are bought and paid for by the carriers or wire houses or large BDs.

When was the last time any association came to the aide of the salesman or saleswoman on "the street?"

When did any association protest a commission cut or advocate for an increase?

When did any association stand behind an agent or broker in a dispute with a carrier or government agency?

I'm young so maybe some of you old dinosaurs (like anyone over 40?) :laugh: might know?

In this industry - like others in public trust positions (like teachers) - you are guilty, until proven innocent.

Associations are to protect the COLLECTIVE good, versus the image and reputation of an individual practitioner. Therefore, it is far easier to earn "brownie points" with the public by condemning actions of ONE, versus putting the entire reputation of an industry/association at risk.

That's why we have lawyers.

----------

This association may be more of what you're looking for:

FARiskMgmt

I am ex-member. I used to pay the dues at the strong arming of NY Life. Now I am independent, I don't agree with most of their policies so they no longer get a dime from me.

I'm sure that before the internet and all these resources took off, joining NAIFA was a 'no brainer' because it was where you could get good ideas and brainstorm with other successful agents - especially outside of your agency and company. This would be back when career agencies were the source of the majority of life production. It was also when you really SHOULD pursue designation studies to be exposed to all the good ideas and training to do more advanced work.

Today, we've got:
- an entire "selling systems" industry (partly because of the declining sales training in agencies)
- the rise of IMOs and other groups that (may) offer training as well as a far wider product selection, rather than just representing one company
- online resources to look up just about anything (VSA for $22/month has enough reference resources that are continuously updated to make almost all designations obsolete.)
- webinars for agent training sessions
- unlimited online CE that's cheaper and faster than almost any other option
- career agency managers that (more than likely) 'failed up' into their position and can't teach much.
- industry discussion forums like this one where one can get any opinion substantiated or challenged
- YouTube has various learning programs with many channels - like those with Steve Savant who interview various industry thought leaders to bring us some of the best ideas... at a time and place that I find convenient, rather than traveling during the day.

Aside from REAL political advocacy (which is subject to your own perspective), NAIFA may have outlived its usefulness and is a throw-back to a past era in life insurance production.

The Society of Financial Services Professionals (for those with CFP, ChFC, CLU or other qualified designations)... is along the same lines. I was once a member, and all I got was an over-intellectualized magazine on financial planning topics. (I do admit that I didn't attend any meetings to 'network' with anyone else, but based on the membership roster, I didn't miss much there either.)

NAFA has been VERY aggressive in trying to fight the DOL fiduciary ruling, so I give them props for that. Plus their membership is only $195/year.

The IARFC is a decent association - despite making their RFC designation one that simply denotes being a member with the association in good standing. Their articles are very good, and they have lots of 'image branding' tools as well as selling tools.

I just don't see the need or advantage for association membership with local chapters... as an independent agent/advisor. If I was a career agent, I'd join and learn from other career agents and perhaps network with other sales managers to ensure that I'm in the company/agency that's best for me. But as an independent... I don't much see the point.

I'm glad for the legacy of NAIFA (or probably more on the old NALU)... but I'm not convinced that they are as relevant today.

Honestly, I would STRONGLY recommend getting involved in at least ONE Industry Association.

While it is a bit old fashion, it really does make a difference...especially for those that are "INDEPENDENT".

1. I get a lot of Referrals from other agents.
2. Learn a lot from being around other Industry professionals (and Ive been in the business for 13 years).
3. Made some great friends and fun social events.
4. Protects our Profession in our State's and DC.

Im a member of NAIFA and NAHU (Health Insurance)

Please google your niche products and join a group...because we need to be proactive to protect our livelihood!

Back