Narcan ?????

TPAAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Many moons no vision brethren-

Has anybody come across Narcan of late? It's an emergency nasal spray that is used to counter the effects of an opioid overdose... i.e oxycondone and shit like that

I've had this medication come up 3 times in the last few weeks, all from clients that have had minor surgery and were prescribed pain medication- I'm wondering if this new administrations policy on opioid overdose is now requiring doctors that prescribe post surgery to also prescribe Narcan as a emergency nasal spray- As we all know, most of our clients dont even remember what they had for breakfast let alone wondering if they took their oxycodone-

Had a client this week- had a minor hip surgery and prescribed pain meds and also Narcan... was told to keep it in case her body has a reaction to the opioids... she never did use the spray.. tried both TA and Moo.. both offered modified.. this is a client that only takes lisinopril

Wondering if anybody here has run across this new roadblock?

If you have a client that takes pain medications- I would advise you ask them if they were prescribed Narcan.. it'll save you a lot of time...

Transamerica and American Amicable are taking it in those circumstances. Obviously if the person has a history of drug abuse that’s going to be a problem but this is a new development that I know those two carriers are OK with .

Transamerica and American Amicable are taking it in those circumstances. Obviously if the person has a history of drug abuse that’s going to be a problem but this is a new development that I know those two carriers are OK with .

Not true- my client had a hip surgery in august and because- no meds but lisinopril, because it was under a year they rated her at graded ..

I have no idea about the Narcan use because I haven't had to use it in the last 3 months. I would be wiling to take some of those opioids off your hands. As long as you can mail them in a plain brown box! I suppose for the right quantity I would be willing to drive some, say up to 2,000 miles

lol

A little off topic, but interesting other use for Narcan. I just copied this from Wikipedia:

“Naloxone can also be used as an antidote in overdose of clonidine, a medication that lowers blood pressure.”

I’ve never considered what happens when someone OD’s on BP meds!

Apparently anyone that goes in for surgery and are given pain killers they are prescribing Narcan to prevent someone from accidently OD'ing on it... if you got a client on pain meds... ask if they were prescibed this inhaler... might save you a lot of time

Back