National Health Care? ? ?

TonyC

Guru
100+ Post Club
What would happen to our industry if a National Health Care System is implemented?

The Dems have a good shot at getting in office...and if they do...Hillary and Obama have both promised a National System.

Now...the question is....would it be similar to the mandatory coverage that is in place for Auto Insuarance (most states require PIP).

Or...would it be a basic policy available for all citizens?

It is a figment of politician's imaginations. Look at any country with national health care and look at the average tax rate.

We'll never see a single-payor system in this country. It's un-American. What we may see is an expanded version of what Mass. is failing at - making it mandatory and GI.

Although auto is mandatory:

1) It's not GI - carriers are free to decline
2) Carriers can drop you - unlike health
3) Check studies on the % of people without auto

You cannot make it GI without giving billions to the insurance companies to keep the rates in check....which means higher taxes. With Medicare and Social Security is very big trouble there's no money in the budget to fund GI plans.

Americans can indeed get affordable GI coverage....if they're willing to take around a 6% tax increase....and that's to start the betting.

Currently the UK system is in very bad financial trouble. Mass. is already begging the gov't for millions more....just the keep the program afloat for another year.

Other factors to consider when comparing to other countries:

1) Our insane obesity rate
2) Our insane addiction to meds

Last edited:
Guaranteed issue. Nothing mandatory is guaranteed issue except Medicare...which then seniors need to purchase a supp plan for pure protection.

Question:

Before we think we can fund universal health care why not try to give seniors total protection on just part A without requiring anything additional.

After all, I'm for protecting seniors first who have done their time over giving some fat lazy depression-med-taking 30 year old "free" coverage.

Seniors first - then let's tackle the rest of the country.

Well....its one thing to ask for it...its another to pay for it.

I've heard arguments that Europes health care system is better for the overall nation. Its not the best...but everyone's covered *agian...based on what i've read.

I know one thing...the Dr's will be against it. Hell...they would lose A LOT OF MONEY if we have a national system.

Last edited:
The European system has its positives and negatives like every system. It's just a matter of whether or not you want to be in the 50% tax bracket. I'm also not saying our system is perfect. There are some huge holes that have to be fixed but universal health care isn't the way to fix them.

I know one thing...the Dr's will be against it. Hell...they would loose ALTO OF MONEY if we have a national system.
What is "loose alto of money." Did you mean "lose a lot of money?"

Just trying to step in before the grammar and spelling cops show up.:policeman:

Rick

Well said John! Politicians have been touting healthcare for years. Has anything happened yet? No.... want to know why? It can't. To fund National Healthcare for our overweight, sickly, drug taking culture would bankrupt our economy. The healthcare issue is just another platform for politicians to tell people what they want to hear.

True. What Americans think they see with the Canadian and UK systems is free health care. I'd suggest a tad bit of research on how much "free" health care costs those citizens.

Don't worry - when the Mass. program crumbles - which is inevitable - we'll have something to point to.

Right now we have working examples of how much GI coverage costs. Go price up indie coverage in NY.

Back