National Western Life, Your Opinions?

Anyone have any opinion on their annuity products?
Appreciate any feedback on this company and its products.

I used thier Global lookback index annuity for some clients. I just loved the concept of not having to guess which index would perform best. But I was selling it when participation was I believe closer to 80% and the fee was less...I just reviewed one of my clients statements and it returned 4.88% last year at 40% participation and a 1%+ asset fee I believe is what they call it.

I will tell you what I did like about them is they had an offline version of e-app so no internet connection was required only signature options where email and signature pad but it was nice not having to worry about having the correct application on hand and worrying about an internet connection in some of the areas I go to all I had to have on hand was transfer forms as many carriers wanted real signatures.

I use Jackson. The National Western ratings leave me cold, especially the S&P "A"... 6th highest.

Jackson just dropped some FIAs because the guaranteed minimum caps were too high. Now it's back to their "Elite Choice" but the caps on new business have all but guaranteed a best case scenario of around 3%.

I use Jackson. The National Western ratings leave me cold, especially the S&P "A"... 6th highest.

Jackson just dropped some FIAs because the guaranteed minimum caps were too high. Now it's back to their "Elite Choice" but the caps on new business have all but guaranteed a best case scenario of around 3%.

That is the problem with FIAs right now in this environment best case is where existing money is already sitting at older annuities with guaranteed minimums of 3%.

Anyone have any opinion on their annuity products?
Appreciate any feedback on this company and its products.

They are a strong carrier and have good annuity products as well as a very solid single premium (simplified issue) life product that is awesome for wealth transfer!! Happy to answer questions if you would like.

That is the problem with FIAs right now in this environment best case is where existing money is already sitting at older annuities with guaranteed minimums of 3%.
I just went back to look at the new Jackson caps and I underestimated earlier. Using the Elite Choice at $100k+ will give you between 3.5% and 4% best case, unless you roll the dice and put some of the money in Monthly Sum. I don't like their Monthly Sum because it's a 2-year deal. Caps but no floor over 2 years can ruin the gains made in the Monthly Average and the Point-to-Point.

You're right about the older annuities dragging down the new ones, and it's the same on the traditional fixed annuities too.

I used NWL for income ladder planning with the 5X5 annuitization feature, and the 50% cumulative withdrawal feature. NWL has been a good company for my agents in the past. They have some interesting fixed annuities as well that offer some interesting benefits.

I think there are several good annuity carriers depending on the scenario that you are trying to accomplish. I like to focus on the benefits and features of the annuities in planning, such as withdrawal features, income rider, death benefit riders, liquidity options, guarantees, living benefits, annuitization options, etc.

It is important to know the sweet spots that products offer in planning.

If you are just looking for a safe place for your client to put funds to earn interest make sure to look at the products with no bonus. There are only so many pennies in a dollar so up front bonuses will result in lower caps.

There are a lot of smoke and mirrors with some of these credit methods being introduced and being marketing by FMO's, so make sure you understand how they work. Take a look at this article on indexed returns.

Index Annuity Returns Backwards & Forward | NAFA Annuity Outlook, Inc.

Have any scenarios that would like to discuss or talk about any particular annuities feel free to contact me anytime.

The National Western Ultra Value Option A has a 65% participation rate with 0% AFR. And a 2% bonus. This policy option offers the best chance for better than average gains over any other FIA. It's easy to compete against others offering cap design products. National Western is a very good company to do business with. Highly recommended.

Back