Need a Good Rebuttal

I do not sell P&C, but I may have something to offer here.

The pain of her switching to your company is greater than the pain of staying where she is currently and paying a higher premium. It's our job to paint that picture of pain for her.

Also, I am wondering if you could switch your presentation to make it sound as if everyone renewing their AAA membership this year gets a free rate review. This way you aren't asking for a quote, your telling her that she gets it for free.

I suggest reading the book titled "The Wedge". I read it a few months ago and it really helped me out in some of these situations.

She may also have a good relationship whith her state farm agent and not even want to fool around with getting a quote?

It's easy I have better things to do rather than waste my time wasting hers. If she isn't interested...There are many...many people looking over their auto policies if she isn't interested move on.

I had a refferal from a client that I called. I introduced myself told him I understood that he was trying to save some money on his policies. He said well my home has went up 20% but I think my auto is fine with Progressive... I just responded with do you know what you are paying? He told me...I said how many cars? He told me. I asked what limits he had guess what...he told me state mins. All I needed to hear and I ripped his policy apart. Actually sold him a much better policy with better coverages for less than he is paying and saved him some big money on his home. If someone doesn't want the quote move on...but the key is to ask the right questions. Then it is easy... "hey it doesn't cost you a thing to see if you can save some money...and you may be surprised".

I was on the phone today with a current AAA Memember that I'd helped in the past. I asked her if I could give her an auto quote, since her AAA membership would give her a discount. She answered with, "I doubt you could beat my rates with my current company." I counter with, "Well, who are you currently insured with?" She answers State Farm. I tell her we've been quoting a lot of state farm clients and have been beating their prices. She says OH!

I think I've got this one..WRONG! She says, "Well, let me think about it." At which point, I sniffeled a little and sold her a secondary membership, but no auto/home quote!

How do you respond to the, "Let me think about it." especially when genuinely seem interested. Schiffman didn't cover that one, or I can't read real good and missed it!

I don't sell P&C, only FE last 12 yrs. But selling is sellng...period. Don't ask her if you can give her an auto quote, just casually tell her you are going to give her an auto quote. Operate from a position of strength not weakness.

So many tips and advice! Thank you much. I've condendsed the script and ended it with the question Do you recall how much your auto premiums are? If prospect says no, I'll just say that's fine, and go into the next question and so on.

I do pride myself on being respectful and am not calling her back just to ask for an auto quote. I'm primarily calling her back to make sure she gets her husbands AAA card, and the quote will be icing on the cake.

I'm also not beating myself up too much. I know No is apart of the game and that I'm going to get wayyyyy more No's than Yes'. Always more fish in the sea. I'm more frustrated with myself in that I hadn't anticapted that response and didn't have a good counter argument.

I just got to the WII-FM radio station bit in Tracy's book. Until then, I was pretty lost on what you guys were saying.

I'll be posting tomorrow after my call session with numbers and the script used. I figure this will help me stay honest with myself and track my results if I intend to post.

Once again, thank you all very much. I'm glad I found this forum.

Frank, do you recall using any other particular words like you do with "recall"?

When asking a senior how much they are currently paying for their Med Supp I say, "May I ask how much that is costing you every month?" Don't use the word "paying", that sounds too personal, use "costing".

Once again, if I say, "What are you paying every month?" the "What" and "paying" is going go make them hesitate and say to themselves, "Why is he asking that, that is confidential information".

By saying, "May I ask" I really am asking permission to ask them how much they are paying. Using "May I ask" will get me the answer more frequently than if I were saying "What". "What" is not a good word to use.

Using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. It doesn't come naturally to most people. The initial phone call is the single most important part of the entire sales process. If an agent blows the initial phone call the opportunity to make a sale will never happen.

Last edited:
I've learned not to play my cards to early. I Sell Final expense and even when someone tells me that they have had a lincoln heritage policy for 1 year, and I know that I can clobber their rates, I don't tell them that right away.

Have you ever bought a car without bragging to someone about what a good deal that you got on it? This lady is proud of her state farm insurance and even told you so much. You responded by telling her in not so many words that her insurance is overpriced and if she will hold on the phone for a few more minutes you will prove it to her.

The funny thing with these people is that if she KNEW 100% that your rates were $50 higher than her state farm per month, she would have stayed on the phone to rub your nose in it. I personally believe that you played your hand a little quickly.

I don't know much about P and C , but I usually ask a few easy to answer questions:

"Oh lincoln heritage! They are a great company and have been around a long time. Is it whole life? great! Are they drafting your premiums or are you sending a money order in each month? Oh ok, and how much are they drafting each month?" Well it seems like you are pretty well covered, the only thing that I will say is that they are a little pricey. It looks like you may qualify to save around $50 a month, that is if you qualify."

Back