Need Advice in Starting an Agency in CA

a.lam201

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and wanted to get some advice on starting an agency. I'm debating on whether I should be a captive agent or go independent. If i were to become captive, which are the best companies that i should look into?

If i were to go independent and start my own agency, what are the steps that i should take. I tried contacting companies to get appointed but not many reply back.....please help!!!!

i currently work for state farm selling p&c and life and health. I was thinking about selling the same types of products because that's what i know.

is there any advice you can give me?

for captive i was thinking about state farm or farmers. i just heard about Met life and was going to see what they had to offer.

i just heard that there were alot more advantages of going independent

Hey A.lam201, I have been around for a little while in the insurance business and I think independent is the way to go. I was with State Farm and Allstate and got tired of being told what to do and when I can do it.

Being Captive is just that........."you are captive". However, with that said I am grateful for my St. Farm / Allstate experience because I have something to compare my independent agency to.

If you are leaning more to the independent side, I have some further suggestions for you. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for ya.

I am deciding to go that independent route. It seems like the way to go. I've read bad reviews on captive Programs and how those opportunities aren't as great as they make it seem to be. Any suggestions as to what companies I should get appointments from. I already contacted progressive and Infinity for personal lines

If you are primary a P&C agent. I would add some simplified issue term such as UHL, Americo, American Amicable etc. also some Simplified Issue Whole Life such as RNA (no phi) or Assurity (E-app).
Most P&C agents I know are not big Life writers and tend to take the path of least resistance. Also find a GA that will do the shopping and pre underwriting for you. Ie... "Hey Nick, I got this person that has ..... What should I show her?"

PS... I have worked in a couple P&C shops in the past. There is gold in those files. Maybe partner with a Life prospector.

I am deciding to go that independent route. It seems like the way to go. I've read bad reviews on captive Programs and how those opportunities aren't as great as they make it seem to be. Any suggestions as to what companies I should get appointments from. I already contacted progressive and Infinity for personal lines

Last edited:
Hey, a.lam201,

I am affiliated with Security Insurance. They are a independant agency offering a producer program to new or existing agents. They have numerous carriers that you can get set up with right away. They pay awesome and are easy to do business with for both personal and commercial.

Go check them out at secins dot com

Congrats on your decision to go independent. As an independent if you decide to add life or health you might want to look at ILIAA and IHIAA. As a new independent agent you could get some useful info from them if you ever decide to add those lines of insurance. I am not aware of any organizations like that for P&C agents, but it may be out there.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will definitely look into it. I will also look into secins to see what they offer as well

More questions. Want to start Agency in Ca. Have L/A&H &P&C lic. Seems a great challenge, starting out, is getting appointmentswith carriers and required volume. And that the better carriers will notappoint an untested agency, one person office. I been researching. Saw add fromMIAA. Anybody familiar with them? It appears, according to them, you become"BIG" as soon as you join in w/them. It would also appear you may beable to start writing business, through them, until all my ducks are in a row.Am researching E&O ins @ this time. am a one man office doing someconsultant work and have a small book of business. Want to cross sell Ins. On aShoestring budget Really appreciate ANY comments. Also open to joiningw/anyothers...ie established Agency or brokers, as I start out.

Back