Need Advice on a Possible Account,please.

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I spoke to a possible client that I cold-called last year and kept track of their renewal date, which is the middle of May.

I spoke to him yesterday and he said that he would like me to take a look at his coverage but wants to wait until after he gets through tax season, which won't give me much time at all.

This account is a very large excavation company that would take a bit of driving to make visits but he is currently paying about $50,000 a year in premium so it would be worth it if I get the business.

This guy has a ton of heavy mobile equipment as well as non-mobile equipment, dump trucks, and other commercial vehicles. He will also need building coverage on his shop.

My question is this, if you were me and truly have to wait until April to get with guy, what are some of the things that could be done in the meantime, like loss control inspection, looking at the condition of the buildings and gathering information on them, etc. If I wait until April 15, that only gives me a month.

Another question I have is about loss runs, should I ask for them now and perk up the ears of the incumbent agent, or wait?

Wait on the loss runs. I have a couple of commercial producers and just ask about losses and let him know you will need loss runs in the future. You start getting the loss runs now you will give the other agent more time then you even have.

Why does he really want to wait? tax season seems like a lame excuse... Maybe he thinks you're going to suck up a ton of his time. I agree on the loss runs..wait

Have you tried asking him to have his secretary get his dec sheets in order so when your out in that area you can pick up copies and get started reviewing and shopping for him.... so you won't waste any of his time
I'd be afraid that in april his business is really going to be getting busy and he'll find another reason to "not" get together with you.

Yeah, I would be up front with him about how much time you need to prepare everything. If you only get started in April, you'll be scrambling to get everything together.

I imagine you could schedule the loss control and have the secretary get dec pages and equipment schedules so you can at least get a jump. If he doesn't understand the time needed after you explain it, then he probably isn't a good prospect anyway.

Back