Need Advice on where to Go from Here.

TransplantTexan

I currently work as an agent team member / producer at a small State Farm agency. Been here since 11/15 and I love the job and the people, but the agent is a real go getter (which is great, a lot agents in the area rest on their book and don't grow), but he is to the point that I feel like the goals he sets are unrealistic. I produce well in P&C, but not so well with Life, which is his biggest focus.

Long story short, I was told Friday morning that he's going to need to trim some fat and unless I hit some big goals this month that I've never hit before it's going to be me. He said I'm not doing bad (he says my performance is great for someone this new to insurance), but out of the two people he hired when he brought me on I'm not doing as well with Life sales (better with P&C) as the other guy. My agent wants high life numbers and although I am steadily increasing my life sales, I guess it's not fast enough.

The biggest goal hurdle to keeping my job is he wants 3 paid and issued life policies by months end with a minimum of $100 in premium. I don't have any life apps and we're already halfway through the month. Even if I got three paid apps tomorrow they probably wouldn't issue fast enough.

Any tips on life sales, or worst case any tips on finding legit insurance sales jobs? I like working for State Farm but I'm in a small town in Michigan with one other SF agent and the next town over good 45 minute commute each way. How bad would it look applying somewhere else after not making the cut with this agent? I think my P&C numbers are strong for the area, I consistently write over $20k/mo in new business, but Life insurance is not my strong point. I'd love to work from home and I have a Michigan resident producer license for P&C, Life, and Health. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would start looking elsewhere. Captive agencies will always be pushing life insurance. That's how the agent bonuses are maximized and how these insurance companies make the most profits. I would look at working for an independent insurance agency. They always need good P&C producers and care much less about life insurance production. Email me if you want some guidance. I'm in MI and might be able to point you in the right direction. [email protected]

Good luck either way!

I would start looking elsewhere. Captive agencies will always be pushing life insurance. That's how the agent bonuses are maximized and how these insurance companies make the most profits. I would look at working for an independent insurance agency. They always need good P&C producers and care much less about life insurance production. Email me if you want some guidance. I'm in MI and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck either way!

Thanks for the input Bryan, I appreciate it! I've wondered about independent agencies, if I can make more there and have more options for P&C customers. The thing is that I know what I'm good at and I'd like to focus on that without worrying I might not have a job because I didn't write enough of what I'm not so hot at.

Thanks for the input Bryan, I appreciate it! I've wondered about independent agencies, if I can make more there and have more options for P&C customers. The thing is that I know what I'm good at and I'd like to focus on that without worrying I might not have a job because I didn't write enough of what I'm not so hot at.

Or... you can learn how to cross-sell life insurance and other financial solutions.

Life insurance, annuities, and other financial solutions are solutions to problems. These aren't "required" coverages for people, but people do buy them to help them solve other problems.

How do you find out how you can help people? You ask them. This should be very helpful for you:

http://fsonline.com/Simpler_Way.pdf

The first 30 days are free, then it's $23.95/month.

The Virtual Assistant | The Complete Financial Advisor Toolbox

Latest posts

Back