Need Advise ASAP

I have no experience in the insurance business and was offered a job selling insurance with a base of 2k per month (basically a draw of 2k) with an expectation of 40 policies per month for the first 90 days. There will be training and I take my test on Feb 9th. They want me to come in with 200 names and numbers to start calling on day 1, Feb 1st.

Is this realistic?

R

Farmers, the agent has been in business for 7 years and does very well. He has 3 employees both have been with him for 4+ years.
I will be getting my lic in P&C to start, they would like to work on the commercial side as well as home and vehicle policies.

I have no experience in the insurance business and was offered a job selling P&C Insurance for a Farmers agent with a base of 2k per month (basically a draw of 2k) with an expectation of 40 policies per month for the first 90 days. There will be training and I take my test on Feb 9th. They want me to come in with 200 names and numbers to start calling on day 1, Feb 1st.
Is 40 realistic - should I negotiate this? I can't afford to take a huge risk if the return won't pay off. I am a single mom so job hoping is not an option.
He has had his agency for 7 years, ranks in the top 5% in his area and has 2 employees that have been there for 4+ years.
He purchased his own building and remodeled it and his wife has her accounting firm upstairs.
Agency is making 70k per month now.

Is this realistic?

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I have no experience in the insurance business and was offered a job selling P&C Insurance for a Farmers agent with a base of 2k per month (basically a draw of 2k) with an expectation of 40 policies per month for the first 90 days. There will be training and I take my test on Feb 9th. They want me to come in with 200 names and numbers to start calling on day 1, Feb 1st.
Is 40 realistic - should I negotiate this? I can't afford to take a huge risk if the return won't pay off. I am a single mom so job hoping is not an option.
He has had his agency for 7 years, ranks in the top 5% in his area and has 2 employees that have been there for 4+ years.
He purchased his own building and remodeled it and his wife has her accounting firm upstairs.

Is this realistic?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I have no experience in the insurance business and was offered a job selling P&C Insurance for a Farmers agent with a base of 2k per month (basically a draw of 2k) with an expectation of 40 policies per month for the first 90 days. There will be training and I take my test on Feb 9th. They want me to come in with 200 names and numbers to start calling on day 1, Feb 1st.

Is this realistic?
[/FONT]

Is this realistic?
[/FONT]

Is this realistic?
[/FONT]

There are 1300 clients to call on that have only 1 policy with them, so I would be calling to offer quotes to see if we can have their home and car business etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but if it's doing that great then they'd have a solid marketing plan for you to follow and wouldn't need your "200 friends."

I have a big burr up my a** for agencies who are rude enough to tell new hires to start making calls to friends and family. Such calls are uncomfortable and unprofessional. I'm sure you'll get some other advice.

And regardless of your 200 friend list...then what.

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] with an expectation of 40 policies per month for the first 90 days. There will be training and I take my test on Feb 9th. [/FONT]

ok.....thats a good one .........first how are you going to sell 40 [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]policies per month not know what you are selling and even for a experienced agent [/FONT]40 [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]policies per month is a tall order.,..........[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][/FONT]

You won't succeed if you start with your warm market. Practice on strangers and sell some policies then you can let you warm market know what you're doing. Find an FE agency with reply cards and sell that to start.

You won't succeed if you start with your warm market. Practice on strangers and sell some policies then you can let you warm market know what you're doing. Find an FE agency with reply cards and sell that to start.

Agree 100%
If you want to do what is best for the people in your life that you are closest with, learn the business first. Spend a couple years in the field. Make a few mistakes.
Let your family and friends know what you do, after some time they will come to you.

Agreed. Any organization that wants you to sign up friends and family without teaching you how to actually get new clients is not worth your time.

Back