need advise

G

wanting advise on which companies to contract with and one's not to contract with, background, licensed p&c for the past 16 years, obtained life and health license in may 07, have not yet committed to anyone yet on the life and health side, have been through the liberty national, united
american, insure net , offers, let know kevin

wanting to sell life and health in georiga , licensed in both fields

wanting to sell life and health in georgia, lecensed in both

wich ever offer the best options, willing to lokk at all offers

OK so you have a few options. I will spend a minute going over the pros and cons of each.

Captive agent (signing up with one carrier and only offering their products)
With this option you normally receive benefits from the company (Health, dental, 401k, etc...). Sometimes they provide you with an office, phone, and support sometimes they don't. The down side is that you can only sell their products even if it is not the best option for your clients.

Non-Captive agent ( signing up with one carrier but you can still be appointed with other carriers)
This options is very similar to being a captive agent but with the added benefit of allowing you to contract with other carriers.

Fully Independent (you offer the products and services of many carriers without worrying about any quotas or pressure to sell one vs. another carrier).
The only disadvantage here is that you have to supply your own benefits.

If you’re worried about benefits (health, 401k, etc) then I think the 2nd option is the best. That way you can still offer other products if you need to. In either case if you pick an option where you can offer multiple carriers you need to pick a BGA (Brokerage General Agency) that your comfortable with and supports the type of business you want to do.

Life - AIG, Genworth, Banner, WCL

Health - Aetna, Coventry*, Golden Rule, BX*, Time*, Humana, KP.

*BX & Time are not competitive but they have some situations where you can find a way to justify using them. Coventry is competitive but their underwriting is a challenge. If anyone has sneezed in the past 12 months they will get a 50% rate up.

I cannot think of any reason to go captive unless you want training and a subsidy.

Back