Need dental care options, HELP!

Mike1874

I need some serious dental work done and am trying to figure out what's the most sensible option for me. I have 5 teeth all next to each other (one of which the entire crown just broke off) that are all in pretty bad shape. I haven't been to the dentist in years; the last I was I was on active duty in the military If I get dental insurance, I would probably need something with either a high or no annual max because I need so much work. Would dental insurance even cover me for pre-existing dental problems? Or would something like a dental discount plan make more sense? I don't have much cash to pay for dental care directly, but I'd at least like to keep my teeth from getting worse than they are now.

You've just had a car wreck and now you want to insure your car so the insurance company will pay for it. How likely do you think that is?

You've just had a car wreck and now you want to insure your car so the insurance company will pay for it. How likely do you think that is?
Hopefully the government will address this travesty of justice! You should be able to purchase insurance at any time and have pre-existing conditions covered. You should be able to take out a dental policy for one month, pay one months premium, have all your pre-existing conditions covered, then cancel a month later.

Hopefully the government will address this travesty of justice! You should be able to purchase insurance at any time and have pre-existing conditions covered. You should be able to take out a dental policy for one month, pay one months premium, have all your pre-existing conditions covered, then cancel a month later.

You are always so rational. No wonder I look up to you.

Rick

I need some serious dental work done and am trying to figure out what's the most sensible option for me. I have 5 teeth all next to each other (one of which the entire crown just broke off) that are all in pretty bad shape. I haven't been to the dentist in years; the last I was I was on active duty in the military If I get dental insurance, I would probably need something with either a high or no annual max because I need so much work. Would dental insurance even cover me for pre-existing dental problems? Or would something like a dental discount plan make more sense? I don't have much cash to pay for dental care directly, but I'd at least like to keep my teeth from getting worse than they are now.
Manhattan Life has a plan that covers pre-existing right away for preventative and basic as long as you haven't previously had a dentist diagnose the problem, otherwise there's a 12 month wait for pre-existing and major services like dentures. This would cover you at 60% the 1st year, 70% the 2nd year and 80% every year after. The maximum each year is $1,500. It also covers vision and hearing aids.

There's a pool of money that you can use all on dental or vision or hearing aids...or mix and match. No network. If you don't need a full mouth extraction, you could be covered right away. Because of the annual maximum, you might have to get done what you can one year, and get some more done the next.

Back