Need Health Insurance Advice for a Surgery

mysto

Sorry in advanced if this is in the wrong section of the forum.
I went in to get braces and my othodontist said I needed a orthognathic surgery (jaw advancement surgery) along with braces. The problem is I don't have health insurance but I'm planning on getting it. I can get insurance outside of open enrollment. But I have a consultation with the orthognathic surgeon soon and I just wanted to know if I should cancel it. The reason I ask is because on a certain forum I found a post where people said

"Whatever you do, do NOT get any consultations about your jaw conditions until you are insured. Also, if you tell the insurance company "Hey, I'm thinking about jaw surgery so I need to know if it is covered", I assure you that it will end up being treated as a pre-existing condition and excluded."

But this was posted in 2009 so I was wondering if it is still applicable?

Last edited:
How so?

That was horrible advice, even in 2009

I no longer qualify for Medicaid.

The reason I want to do the consultation first is so I can ask the surgeon which insurance is best for this procedure because it is usually around $20K. And from my research it seems there are specific requirements that need to be met for the insurance company to cover it.

I can't post URLs but if you want to see some of the requirements type
"best insurance for orthognathic surgery"
into google and click on the first link

I just want to find out from the surgeon if I meet these requirements before spending a lot of money on insurance then finding out I don't.

OK so a consultation before getting insurance will in no way affect my ability to get the surgery or the cost, etc.?

You should be talking to the folks at healthcare.gov. They can help you in this situation.

I called and the guy said I should go to the consultation first because they can help me figure out which insurance is best and if I would be covered. He said then get the insurance and don't mention the surgery or consultation.

Pre-ex no longer applies. Bozo at hc.gov is freaking clueless. You can tell them you will die unless you get a brain transplant in the next 72 hours and you can still get a policy.

Welcome to Obamacare.

Back