Need help "closing deals"

B

Blane

Hi,

I am struggling to get any policies (health & life) written.
I use a couple lead sources, and have spoken with some quality people, but I am unable to get anything done.
I have given quotes, followed up via phone & e-mail, but nothing.
I am new to the industry, but I don't let on about that. I have good product knowledge, so I don't think that's the problem. I speak confidently, and friendly, but without arrogance, and sounding desperate.
Are there any key words or phrases I could use to make people want to do business with me, or I am just dealing with tire kickers so far?
I am at a total loss here on what to do.

Any advice?

Thanks everyone,

Best,

-Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
I am struggling to get any policies (health & life) written. I use a couple lead sources, and have spoken with some quality people, but I am unable to get anything done. I have given quotes, followed up via phone & e-mail, but nothing.
I am new to the industry, but I don't let on about that. I have good product knowledge, so I don't think that's the problem. I speak confidently, and friendly, but without arrogance, and sounding desperate.
Are there any key words or phrases I could use to make people want to do business with me, or I am just dealing with tire kickers so far?
I am at a total loss here on what to do.

Any advice?

Are you "giving them a quote" before you qualify/determine whether you have a mutual basis for doing business?

Don't be so quick to "give them a quote"...

Are you asking them to buy?

Are you "giving them a quote" before you qualify/determine whether you have a mutual basis for doing business?

Don't be so quick to "give them a quote"...

Are you asking them to buy?

Good insight. I never give price until after the following:

I asked what they want
Confirmed what they want
And provided a solution for what they want

Best closing question ever?

Why don't you try it?

Good advice, I am jumping the gun, and spewing out numbers too quick.
I'll stop that, and heed the sound advice given.
As I have stated before, I am ALWAYS open for suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time guys,

-Barry

We talk about about things to say...how about what not to say?

"So Tim, what is your biggest concern about health insurance?"

Then.....shut up. If they don't talk - non-conversational - won't disclose their problem then in general you have nothing.

If they tell you their problem then become a problem solver.

I personally do not deal with time-wasters.

We talk about about things to say...how about what not to say?

Good point John, I suggest you remove all of the following from your vocabulary:
  • Is this a good time?
  • Am I bothering you at work?
  • Do you have a minute?
  • Are you still in the market for insurance?
  • You sound busy, would you like me to call back?
  • Would you like to go ahead with this?
  • Do you want to submit the policy?
I'm sure you get the point. This opens the door to closing the door in your face, it allows anyone to say:
  • No, this is not a good time
  • Yes, you are bothering me at work
  • No, I don't have time now
  • No, I'm not in the market for insurance (click)
  • Yes, call me back (click)
  • No, I don't want to go ahead
  • No, I don't want to submit the policy
Whether they say this out loud or they think it in their head, it's no good, you gave them a way out.

Then what do you do?

You let them off of the phone that's what and I'm pretty sure we need them on the phone to sell.

:swoon:

My point is, you cannot create interest when none exists:

Me: "What is your biggest concern..."

Tim: "Actually this is not a good time now but I have your number on my caller ID so just email me something and I'll call you back."

All I'm saying is I do not work with those people. I do not try and get clever with them - I don't break out Ziglar lines - I can't get off the phone fast enough to get to an interested prospect.

My point is, you cannot create interest when none exists:

Me: "What is your biggest concern..."

Tim: "Actually this is not a good time now but I have your number on my caller ID so just email me something and I'll call you back."

All I'm saying is I do not work with those people. I do not try and get clever with them - I don't break out Ziglar lines - I can't get off the phone fast enough to get to an interested prospect.

Hmmm . . . I think if they went online, that some interest exists or existed at some point, we need to find out what that interest is or was.

Many of you mention that you weed through time wasters.

Maybe you create the scenario in your actions by assuming they're time wasters and ultimately you're wasting their time.

robliano,

In general I agree with many of the points you make, but I absolutely have to disagree with all the things not to say. In fact, I say most of them and I'm more effective because of it. Remember, hearing "no" is a good thing. If you are afraid of hearing it in the beginning, you will waist a lot of time spinning your wheels only to hear it later or the prospect will simply disappear. It comes down to this, are they in pain? If yes, they will take the time to talk with you. In no, it doesn't matter what you say.

Blane,

My guess is that you are experiencing one of two problems. Either you aren't processing enough people through the door or you aren't doing a good enough job fact finding. You have to find pain and then once you find it, dig into the wound. You do this BEFORE you ever send out a quote. Remember, don't do anything unless you know exactly why you are doing it. I don't send out a quote unless I have committment to go over it. In fact, I usually don't send one at all. I just tell them there are hundreds of plan options available and I don't want to spend hours putting it all together just to confuse you, the best way to go about it is to spend a few minutes narrowing down your options. If they balk, you don't have a prospect. Go find another one.

My guess is that the real problem, given you said you aren't closing any business is that you aren't processing enough people through your pipeline each week. If you were, the old saying holds true, "Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while." The best part, that component is completely in your control to change.

When I first got in to the business many suns and moons ago, we were taught to "politely" ask if we had "gotten them at a good time", etc. It always seemed like you were apologizing for something, minimizing the importance of your work ("I just need a minute of your time...").

Over the years, my philosophy has changed. I have stricken the word "just" from my vocabulary.

I don't ask. If it's not a good time for some reason, I let them tell me.

Back