Need help Dealing with a Rude Lady who Hit my Car

moralhum

My car was parked in a parking lot. It was a bit slanted but it was inside the two lines. One lady hit the car but it was nice of her that she left a note with her cell phone number. My car had scratches and a hole at the rear end. I called her up after I reached home and asked for her insurance info. She told me to get an estimate. She told me she would pay me if the estimate is not much otherwise she will provide me the insurance info. I went to Honda the day after and I got an estimate of $1022. I called her and said i got an estimate and she started shouting at me. I told her the bumper need to be replaced, she started arguing what about her new car. She was telling it all happened coz i parked my car crooked, so she cant estimate and hit the car. Later she sent me pics of my car parked which is inside the line. I texted her yes my car was parked crooked but within the line. how about she shows her and my car to the insurance companies and let the insurance companies decide. But she starting using foul words. In a way she was trying to intimidate me. she told me her car is new and mine is a stinking car. I do not think anyone has the right to speak with anyone that way. She told she will fix her and I fix mine. I am not worried if I get my money or not but I am so pissed with that lady who does not have manners to speak with a stranger. What should I do in this situation?

You have three choices, none of which I doubt you will like.

1. Let it go and move on. Repair your car if you desire.

2. File with your insurance company and let them subrogate against her for your deductible. Your car gets repaired but you are probably out the deductible as it is unlikely they will ever get it back from her or her insurance company.

3. Take her to small claims court. At this point her company will step in, at least if she does the smart thing and lets them know. While they could fight it out, odds are they will settle to make it go away and save the legal expense, which would probably be more than the actual repairs.

Fortunately, her texts are great evidence against her. I hope you didn't delete them. I suspect she effectively if not outright admitted fault in them.

Maybe Adjusterjack will find this thread and have other ideas.

Even if you are parked in 4 spots and sticking out in the roadway, hitting a stopped (especially parked) vehicle is the fault of the moving car, not the stopped car. How you park might be a contributing factor, but not the majority factor.

I'm going to guess that there was some existing damage to your bumper. Usually a parking lot accident doesn't lead to replacing a bumper, though it might require reconditioning. She is not responsible for existing damage, which might be her point, hard to say.

Dealerships tend to be some of the highest priced body work going and usually not the best. Around me, very few dealers actually do the work, they sublet the work to the body shop behind them and mark it up.

File the claim with your insurance, they will pursue her insurance. Of course, if you don't carry collision coverage, your insurance won't work. Then follow VolAgents advice.

Dan

Back