Need Help!!! First Health Insurance Client

I have recently started selling health insurance, I previously only dealt with life insurance. This is my first client and I need help.

It is a husband and wife, they were covered under the wifes group health plan with aetna, but she lost her job last year and was supposed to be called back in feb. of this year, but she never did.

She is 60 years old, the husband is 63. She does not smoke and neither does he. She does not have any health issues, but he had prostate cancer last year, had surgery in Nov 09 and everything is normal now (saw the doctor 3 times since surgery).

They are on a limited budget now, only can afford around 300 - 350/month she was given a quote of 200 and something dollars a month with a 60% coinsurance by another agent.

I am appointed with assurant, highmark, bluecross of nepa, celtic, and united health one.

I am still new to health insurance. I just dont know what to do about his cancer. Would he be rated or rejected?

If anyone can offer me and advice or assistance, I would appreciate it.

He would be rejected across the board. Most carriers want clients to be cancer free for 5 years.

If they have been without coverage for 6 months, the husband qualifies for the federal risk pool, although there's no way they'll hit $300/$350 per month.

The wife qualifies for her own plan - around $250 a month. The husband through the risk pool will be around $550.

He would be rejected across the board. Most carriers want clients to be cancer free for 5 years.

If they have been without coverage for 6 months, the husband qualifies for the federal risk pool, although there's no way they'll hit $300/$350 per month.

The wife qualifies for her own plan - around $250 a month. The husband through the risk pool will be around $550.

So, I should just drop him out of the quotes, quote her alone and see what happens from there? I wonder how that other agent quoted them at 200 something a month, unless they were just pulling her leg.

What would you say it would cost the husband with the federal risk pool if it was just him?

By the way, thanks for your help, you saved me from a huge headache.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And where can I get her some info on the federal risk pool?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Never mind I see where ya said $550 for the risk pool

Last edited:
The husband is a decline and yes, you can drop him from the quotes. If the other agent was quoting both of them a combined $200/mo it's likely a mini-med....although even that's unlikely since even a mini-med would cost them around $400/mo. Probably a discount plan.

You can find risk pool rates for the husband here: Health Care - HealthCare.gov

I feel real bad for people who are caught between a rock and a hard place like this couple. They probably wouldn't have been able to afford COBRA even with the 65% premium subsidy from the government.

OK OK..any money, benefits, contruction projects, etc., that is initiated by the US/State/Local government is actually money from taxpayers. Just a redistribution. Got it.
-A.C.

Back