Need Help on My Cold Call Script

Labman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Guys while I have has some success with my current cold call script while seeking group business, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Here it is:

"Hello, this is Joe Agent, I specialize in working with small business owners on their employee health insurance rates. I'm calling to see if you are happy with what you currently have."

Not very good of course, and most say they are happy or fine with what they have. I'm wide open to all suggestions for improvement because quite frankly even I realize my script sucks bigtime!:D

Guys while I have has some success with my current cold call script while seeking group business, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Here it is:

"Hello, this is Joe Agent, I specialize in working with small business owners on their employee health insurance rates. I'm calling to see if you are happy with what you currently have."

Not very good of course, and most say they are happy or fine with what they have. I'm wide open to all suggestions for improvement because quite frankly even I realize my script sucks bigtime!:D

I don't consider myself to be a pro in this area but I would suggest that you work at developing at least 4-5 scripts. Experiment with the wording. Sometimes a minor change can bring big results. See what works best for and keep tinkering with it until you have something you like, you feel comfortable with, and that works well.

Even a change as minor as:

"Hello, this is Joe Agent, I specialize in SAVING small business owners like you on their employee health insurance rates.............."

may improve results. It all depends upon what you objective is.

Here is a potential script:

Me: This is xrac from __________. Mr. ___________ I work primarily with business owners to save them money on their health insurance. I am going to be in your building (street/neighborhood) all day on Tuesday of this week. Would 1:30 on Tuesday be a good time for me to stop in and introduce myself?

Prospect: (Objection)

Me: I can appreciate that. As I said, I'm only wanting to introduce myself when I'm there. Will you give me a couple of minutes on Tuesday or is next week better.

Prospect: I guess that Tuesday will be o.k.

Me: See you at 2:00. My number is 555-1212. Please call me if your schedule changes.

Last edited:
Everybody has a different style.
Xrac's suggestion is good.
Or, what would you say to a potential customer you meet at a Chamber ( or any) function?

Here it is:

Step one - Announce yourself, establish positive relationship.

Good (morning, afternoon), this is Joe Agent, How are you doing today?
-- You need to get them answering questions and carrying on a positive conversation as quickly as possible.
Answer with: Good, great, fantastic, im glad to hear that, ect. Make your response to whatever they say positive.
Step two - Introduce your business and what you do.
The reason for my call today is to set up an appointment to meet with you. I specialize in working with small business owners on their employee health insurance rates. What we can do is go over your current plan and compare it with other plans and providers to see if you can be saved any money.
Step three - ask SPECIFICALLY for the appointment - ASSUME they want to meet. Use a specific time and date.
How does Tuesday at 8 am sound to you?
-- The reason you ask for a specific time here is so they respond in kind. If Tuesday at 8 is a bad time maybe they say Wenesday at 10, Friday at 7, ect.

Step 2 is learn to respond specifically to any objections they will have to what you have said. You basically have 4 objections to deal with.

I am not interested.
This objection basically means 1 of 2 things, either they are happy with what they have or they do not want to meet with you. You need to figure out which of the two it is and deal with the thing they are actually objecting to. Since you are cold calling and not warm calling a lead the best answer I can suggest here is to ask them "If you don't mind me asking, do you currently have health insurance?" No matter what the answer to this question, the response should be a reason you should meet, unless they say they won't answer the question and in that case you should call someone else. If the answer is "Yes, I do." Your response should be "Great, we should meet and see if I can save you some money, it will only take 10 to 15 minutes of your time, how does tuesday at 9 sound." If the answer is "No, I don't." your response is "It's good that I called then, we should meet and go over available plans and find one that can fit into your budget, how about tuesday at 9."

I don't have insurance and/or can't afford it.
Best response here I know of is "Thats fine, a lot of other people say the same thing, we can meet and go over options and see if something can fit your budget with no commitment, how about tuesday at 9."

Just mail me the information/Call back later I'm busy.
This is SPECIFICALLY intended to get you off the phone with them. The correct answer is, "Ok, I understand that you are busy, the only reason I called today is to set up an appointment to meet with you for 10 to 15 minutes, how does tuesday at 9 sound?" They're going to answer you either with can't you just mail me something or a different objection. The answer to a mail request should be, "I can bring you all the documentation about the plans when I visit, and show you specifically what plans would work best for your situation, how does tuesday at 9 sound?"

I am happy with what I have.
"Thats great, a lot of other customers have said the same thing to me, we should meet and go over your plan and see if I can save you money, how about tuesday at 9."

I'm sure you see a pattern there. No matter what their answer, its a good answer, you tell them its a good answer, and then make their answer a reason you should have an appointment. Thats it. The trick here is not to give them an out other than hang up on you, or set an appointment. Don't give them something to say no to that you haven't already anticipated. Every time you get a new no answer that you haven't heard before figure out a way you are comfortable responding to it.

If you get a secretary you can't get through, call earlier or later. Try 7 am or 6pm, they've normally left for the day at one of those two times. Don't try to argue with them it's a waste of time. Leave a message but say you'll call back, not that they should call you back.

The only other advise I can give here is that if you have to overcome 3 objections in 1 call, tell them "I can see that you are busy, I'll give you a call back later." And actually call back. If you continue to try to overcome their objections past 3 you're going to piss the lead off and insure you cannot meet. The fact they didn't hang up on you yet means you have a chance still, but if you continue this path you're going to come across as argumentative.

Smile while you are on the phone. Stand up while you are on the phone. Sound positive. Don't sound cheezy. Don't sound canned. Practice your script until you don't sound scripted.

After you do this a couple hundred times it will feel more natural and you will find out what works for you, if you aren't getting around a 5 phone conntects to 1 appointment ratio you're doing something wrong. It could be your leads, it could be the way you sound, it could just be that you aren't comfortable saying what you're saying. 20% appointment setting should be your goal. Higher is great.

This script is a little TOO aggressive for residental usage. You need to modify it for residental, save asking for the appointment till the end and ask more yes questions. How are you doing today? How does that sound to you? Dosen't that sound great? ect. Get them saying yes. Business cold calls are a different animal because you need to be faster and they're more acclimated to them so you can be a bit more aggressive. Don't get discouraged though, you need 4 no answers to get a yes. It takes 24 no answers to get a sale on average. 5 phone connects : 1 appointment, 5 appointments : 1 sale. If you outperform that you're doing great. Just don't let yourself get discouraged and sound like a no before they tell you no.

Hope this is some help.

^ahhh...Cold Calling Techniques, that was a very informative book

It's a damn good place to get started for sure. I was at the same point as that guy to start with, basically memorized that book, you really can paraphrase the entire book into one forum post the rest is just repetition. I did find it too aggressive, like I said, for the residential market but it works very well in business calling. I think the author of the book is Stephen Shiffman or something like that if you wanted to get a copy its like 8 bucks at a bookstore in paperback, its well worth the read.

I don't think he goes much in depth with asking yes questions and asking people how they are doing though, that was more what I picked up to modify that, I do a TON of warm calling mailer leads and if you approach the people with the straight script shiffman uses in the book you get like a 95% not interested rate because you're being SOOOOO aggressive. People hear "sales call" in your voice and shut down. With residential you have to go slower when you speak, also as a bit of advise, be careful of the inflection in your voice. If you don't really watch it you'll start to match the other persons tone, and if they're thinking "how do I get this guy off the phone" and you match up with them they're always a "not interested". With a business call you want to sound like you have a product they need, and you can help them, where in the residential market you need to sound like a friend who is doing them a favor.

My experience in that comes from about 6 months of calling warm call insurance leads for home mortgage protection market, and 5 years before that selling hardwood for a sawmill as 100% cold calling. As pointed out, I also read that guys book and think its quite good.

Indeed it does.

First of all, there are soooo many more effective things you can do than cold-calling; breakfast seminars for business owners; build alliances with a CPAs who can refer you in on a favorable basis; offer your services to Chamber and other business groups as a speaker ("Four Things Your Broker Didn't Tell You About Your Employee Health Plan"), etc.

When you do these much-more-effective things, it positions you (and your credibility) as a trusted expert...

When you cold-call on the phone, it positions your credibility as a telemarketer - who has no status (or clients) - and is a stranger.

If you must..

Great cure for insomnia. You know how many calls like this business owners get everyday? What makes you any different than the other 571 swingin' dicks that called them this week trying to find a quick commission?

Likewise, forget the "I Can Save You 27%/money/whatever" routine - not only is it beat to death - it makes the other person suspicious! What is it that's inferior enough to be 27% less? They don't know you, and don't trust you! (yet)

As somarco (I believe) said - your only goal is to open a dialogue. How do you even know YOU want an appointment yet? So the guy can take your idea and discuss it with his current broker over a round of golf this Saturday morning? Until you can look him in the eyeballs and find out what his/her conditions would be to make a switch and give you the business...all you're gonna do is spin your wheels.

Before I forget, leave out that 80's, Tom Hopkins, "Tuesday at 3 or Friday at 11?" crap. BUSINESS PEOPLE HATE IT.

Only as a last resort:

"Hello, this is Joe Agent. I specialize in helping small businesses get the best value in employee health plans. Depending upon what you are doing in that area currently, I may be able to help you lower your costs, while at the same time strenghtening your coverage. Who is your current policy/plan/group with?"

Probe for dissatisfaction other than price. Someone can always sell it cheaper.

What happens to your group when the next guy like you calls with a lower price?

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

I would skip that "how are you doing today?" Obviously, you don't really care and Mr. Prospect knows that. Save everybody time by getting to the purpose of the call. BTW, good post Paul (M&M).

Last edited:
I would skip that "how are you doing today?" Obviously, you don't really care and Mr. Prospect knows that. Save everybody time by getting to the purpose of the call. BTW, good post Paul (M&M).

Probably makes a difference what part of the country you're in, people farther south sort of expect a certain amount of feigned cordiality in the opening. You leave it out here it screws with the averages on appointment setting.

Agreed on M&Ms post, his approach is strong even though he claims to hate cold calling, although I do disagree on the point of knowing you want an appointment. I always want an appointment, even if they don't need what I called about initially they can still be a referral generation or purchase a different product. Every appointment has a potential for value.

Back