Need help selling insurance with better communication skills

• Thread starter Deleted member 87445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87445

I have been working in statefarm for 9 months, what I found is my selling skill(Communication) is still poor. I do not have any small talk involved. Usually just go straight into the product I am selling. Nothing else but the insurance product. I feel this is a not a good way to sell P&C.
I cant even pivot life insurance to my clients. I would just say "Would you consider getting a life insurance for your family?" which is the worst thing to say.

Please share your ideas and word track on how to be more "friendly" and make your client wants to talk to you.

Thanks.

I have a degree in communication and can tell you that you're asking a huge question that can't be fully answered in a thread like this.

There are a lot of good books out there that you can use to educate and train yourself for more effective interaction with people. I think that Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is an excellent book for every sales professional to read, as is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. Those are two books that lots of the modern sales "gurus" got their information from.

I also think that two of the most common mistakes in communication are
1. forgetting to be silent and listen, and
2. forgetting that we continuously communicate nonverbally.

Try listening to everything the prospect says, and then ask a question about something they said that has nothing to do with insurance. Then be silent and listen. If they mention their kids then ask how many kids they have, or what grade they're in, or what they do if they're grown. Or whatever - it doesn't really matter as long as you ask it, be quiet, and let them start talking to you. Say something positive in response. That will make them way more comfortable with answering more questions and instantly like you better going forward.

Remember your face, and how is the tone of your voice? Are you smiling or scowling? Some people have a natural scowl when their face is relaxed, and some have a natural smile. If you have a natural smile then you're ahead of the game, but if you're like most people you'll need to practice smiling with people. It's a game changer when you get this right. Practice doing a presentation on video - a mirror isn't nearly as good as video. You'll be amazed at how you look and sound to people when you talk, and the more you video yourself, the better you'll get.

You're smart to be questioning the communication side of this. I think everyone in our industry should be paying close attention to these things.

I also think that two of the most common mistakes in communication are
1. forgetting to be silent and listen, and
2. forgetting that we continuously communicate nonverbally.

THIS ^^^^

@WLIN9106 conversation is easy when you know and follow a few guidelines

People love to talk about themselves
Learn to ask open ended questions at first, then narrow down
Listen and take notes
Focus on what they are saying, not what you want to say
One of the biggest mistakes agents make is trying to SELL something
Find out what they want and help them get it
People hate to be sold but they love to buy

You can never be that direct... no one likes spending money.. Read or learn from online, tonnes of help you can find.

Small talk: look for signs.

If you are doing face-to-face in people's homes, look at their cars, neighborhood and landscaping as you walk to the front door.

Once in the house, look at pictures, trophies, wooden floors, kitchens and layout.

Just make comments on these things.

"Hey, I like your shrubbery in the front yard. It makes your home (not house) stand out. Is that one of your hobbies?"

"Oh, your son got a trophy for Little League. My son played there too and it was so much fun watching him. How about you? Did you enjoy it?"

"I like your flowered shirt BECAUSE my wife is asking me to dress up more when we go out and she picked a shirt very similar to yours."

Change your attitude. You're not meeting with them to sell insurance. You're going there to make a friend.

Think about how you would talk to someone you just met at a party. "What do you do for a living? How long have you been married? Where do you live? What college did you graduate from?"

Life insurance: "Okay. We've taken care of your casualty needs. Let's spend a moment talking about your family's financial needs when you die. If you were killed in a car accident tomorrow, do you have enough life insurance and savings to pay off the mortgage? NO! Where would your family live? Is that what you would want? Let me show you how we can solve that problem for pennies on the dollar."

You must be an actor. Act excited, friendly and enthusiastic. Relax. You'll be surprised at how easy it is. And, it will start to become fun.

Last edited:
no one likes spending money..

Which is why I only talk about the FREE stuff.

Once in the house, look at pictures, trophies, wooden floors, kitchens and layout.

I have told this before, but worth repeating.

Guy I worked with years ago was training in home sales people. This was in Florida, where, according to him, everyone had a fish on the wall (usually a Marlin).

His opening line was "Nice fish. Tell me about it".

One day he entered a home, looked around, and didn't see a fish. He sputtered and said "Where's your fish?".

Apparently he blew that sale. No other way to start a conversation.

Ha ha, where is your fish? Ha ha.

I am very direct and to the point, which works very well with commercial. That works out very well because i am 100% commercial. Also, there are a lot of Chinese immigrants where I am, and I do very well with them because my style is very direct, blunt, and bottom line, which seems to cooperate well with their culture and communication.

I can, however be very charming and conversational when I want to be, and more importantly, when I need to be.

As far as life insurance, I stopped selling it a while ago, but this would be more or less how I went into it. "I am sure you care about your family, just like I do about mine. I hate to bring this up, but this is of course the reality of life, but do you have any sort of a plan in case something, god forbid, happens to you?"

Back