Need Help with My Cold Calling Script

"Hello Sir/Ma'am"

I don't cold call these days, but when I was buying data, I would import the data into a dialer. When the dialer connected, I had the owners name populate into the software so I'd just ask for the person by name. This way I didn't have to call saying hello Sir or Ma'am. I'd just say, Hi am am trying to reach whomever by their first name. Usual response, "You got him/her." Great. Onward with the conversation.

I know how this cold calling/telemarketing thing can be beat to death on the forum. So, I did the research before posting and discovered that it mostly applied to the life and health side.

You guys are truly out pacing me, when it comes to reaching outside of my comfort levels to prospects. In fact, I probably would not have even thought to cold calling until hitting this forum.

Thanks for beating the dead horse one time.

I did cold calling for a long time. I believe in cold calling. Cold calling is a numbers game. Use your script and if they don't like it, go to the next client. Don't slow down and keep going.

I think you have a good idea and you should try it. The more you try it, the more you will learn from it and fine tune it.

Trying something is better then trying nothing at all.

It does not hurt to practice on cold calling. Call a friend and warm up on them, if you have never done any cold calling. Go ahead and try to think of the answers that you know they are going to ask you.

Thanks Mark,

We are definitely going to give it a shot. I have never been cold called by a P&C agency for an auto quote (there must be a reason why not).

I realize that it will take a solid 3 months of numbers to evaluate the ROI.

Thanks Mark,

We are definitely going to give it a shot. I have never been cold called by a P&C agency for an auto quote (there must be a reason why not).

I realize that it will take a solid 3 months of numbers to evaluate the ROI.

I do a lot of things that other agents do not do or try. Most good systems or ideas start off by someone trying it and making it their own.

Everytime you see one good idea from me, what you don't see is the other 10 times I fail at an idea to find that one good system. Don't be afraid of failure or to try something.

I think you will quickly learn what works on cold calling for p and c clients and you will fine tune it until it works.

You said that you have never been cold called about P and C and there must be a reason why. HMM. I've never had someone approach me about buying life insurance. Does that mean that people don't do it or that it does not work? Just look at my free living will system. I can say no one every called me or offered to do a free living will with me. But the systems does work very well.

Just because other agents are not doing something does not mean that it does not work. Some idea have not been thought of yet.

I can sit here and tell you a millions reason why ideas that work well, should not work at all. I could say, no one buys p and c from an agent anymore. They just go direct with the companies. But I would not be correct. But I know of people that don't buy from agents. Does that mean anything? Nope.

I know of a lot of p and c agents that do not cold call. Does that mean it can't work? Nope!! Maybe they just don't know what to say to clients and they are afraid to try it.

Warner...I think you're on the road to success. Your best bet is to talk with those agents that are actively involved in precisely the type of calling you make. Pick their brain and the best ideas will soon be yours.

There are some terrific experienced P&C brokers on this Forum.

I always viewed cold-calling as, a shotgun approach....it's now or never and...what's the worst thing they can do? Tell me to F off...hang up on me? I like cold-calling and really should do it more often...and have that as one of my resolutions in 2009....to call more often. Just make sure their not on the no-sales-solicitation list.

Last edited:
In my career, I have been involved with the two largest P&C companies in the country.

Experience shows that an auto and/or ho phone campaign's results and ROI will improve greatly if you buy x-dates and call those.

Moonlight,

We are planning on implementing that marketing strategy. With the list provider (coles), they provide home owner x-dates and am currently working on the list and language with my contact rep.

Thanks for the input

Yes. Great, we currently represent 18 auto insurance companies. We know that the rates in NM are continuing to increase. We are just calling to see if we can give you a quote and see if we can save you some money.

Based upon you numbers it's time to play around with your value proposition. Remember 10/3/1-- every 10 contacts results in 3 interested and 1 buyer. Yeah, yeah, rule of thumb, but a good one.

Just come out and ask me if I would like to lower my rates and keep the same coverage. If yes, gather the info you need to run your quotes.

Back