Need Help With Quoting

jennesco

I just started working for an insurance company and one of the first things I started to get trained for is answering calls. Right now I am practicing answering calls for a potential customer who wants to get quoted. However, I am shaky when it comes to the point where the customer asks "why do you need all this information?" and "is providing my current rate necessary?" I was told to answering along the lines that "it is not necessary but the information meshes together" but to not say "it is to provide you with an accurate quote." Not sure why. But do you have any tips on how to respond to these kinds of questions?

Last edited:
If the information is not necessary, why are you asking for it? The only reason to ask questions to generate a quote IS to create a generally accurate quote and to MANAGE their expectations.

I didn't ask what lines of insurance you're quoting (life, auto, homeowners, whatever), but the ONLY reason to ask questions is to create an accurate quote. If people understand that the questions are NORMAL and part of your PROCESS, they'll be more understanding and (hopefully) comply and provide accurate answers.

I'd love to learn how I could be wrong.

If the information is not necessary, why are you asking for it? The only reason to ask questions to generate a quote IS to create a generally accurate quote and to MANAGE their expectations.

I didn't ask what lines of insurance you're quoting (life, auto, homeowners, whatever), but the ONLY reason to ask questions is to create an accurate quote. If people understand that the questions are NORMAL and part of your PROCESS, they'll be more understanding and (hopefully) comply and provide accurate answers.

I'd love to learn how I could be wrong.

Sorry. With the necessary part I meant when asking them what they currently pay for with the other insurance provider. It's not necessary to give but it helps. But I'm not sure what words to use to answer it and the other question of "why do you need all this information?" Or "why are you asking for all of this information?"

You will need to keep three concepts in mind on this:
1) Is it in their best interest to switch to you and your company?
2) How will you KNOW if you are truly competitive to what they already have?
3) Your job is to help people to make educated decisions regarding their coverage REGARDLESS of whether they choose to do business with you.

In order to determine this, you should first do an "apples to apples" quote with what they have now. Will they pay less for similar coverage or pay the same for better coverage? If not, what other reason should they consider before switching their coverage to you?

If they won't give you their current rate, then THEY are assuming that THEY know how to do a coverage comparison to see if you are competitive for their situation or not. Professionals do NOT let amateurs do their work for them, and every unlicensed person (or person who is not compensated for insurance work) is an amateur by default. Don't let an amateur do your job for you.

People respond in kind. If you're nervous about asking for that info, they can sense that. It raised red flags and they're going to be hesitant about giving it to you.

I generate P&C leads by cold prospecting and get everything I need to quote on the first call including the d.o.b. 98% of the time.

The best way to ask that question is, "just so I can get you the most accurate quote Jill, what's your date of birth?"

Ask it like you've asked it thousand times before and it's no big deal.

Practice makes perfect...it won't feel awkward after you do it 100 times.

Easy answer to why do you need to know what I'm paying...it help's me know which of our companies will be competitive for you that way we don't waste your time discussing options that aren't a good fit...something like that

Back