Need some guidance; making the move...

Hello everyone,

A bit of background on me; I've been selling insurance for 17 years. 99% Aflac; I got in around 2001, when Aflac still had a clear career trajectory. They weren't recruiting their brains out and acting like an MLM (as they are now,) I made very, very good money and hit every benchmark, target and award they offered. It was a good ride.

I cold called constantly; on the phone, in person, anywhere there were people. And I joined networking groups; chambers, BNI, you name it. All in all, I closed about 200+ accounts, and had a lot of policyholders. I enjoyed it; the work was very hard, but fruitful.

And now. Aflac has changed; their field marketing strategy (or lack of one) has made it difficult to close new groups. There are dozens of new agents every week and month out there, with little to no training, banging on doors repeatedly. It's harming the brand, in my opinion.

I'm older, also...(mid-fifties) I'm 100% vested with Aflac and living off of my renewals. I think Aflac policies are wonderful, but I just don't want to sell them anymore. I'm done.

Next Step! I want to sell Medicare Supps (and Advantage.) I know little to nothing about the field, or the products, but I'm keen to learn. Any advice, guidance, what to avoid?

I have talked to a couple of FMO's...I read articles that state how important it is to choose the RIGHT one, but truthfully, I'm so clueless, I don't know how to do that.

Any feedback would be SO appreciated. Thank you, guys.

-Robin

PS I'm in New England; licensed in RI, MA, CT and I'm also licensed in Florida. A,H,L,P&C

Hello everyone,

A bit of background on me; I've been selling insurance for 17 years. 99% Aflac; I got in around 2001, when Aflac still had a clear career trajectory. They weren't recruiting their brains out and acting like an MLM (as they are now,) I made very, very good money and hit every benchmark, target and award they offered. It was a good ride.

I cold called constantly; on the phone, in person, anywhere there were people. And I joined networking groups; chambers, BNI, you name it. All in all, I closed about 200+ accounts, and had a lot of policyholders. I enjoyed it; the work was very hard, but fruitful.

And now. Aflac has changed; their field marketing strategy (or lack of one) has made it difficult to close new groups. There are dozens of new agents every week and month out there, with little to no training, banging on doors repeatedly. It's harming the brand, in my opinion.

I'm older, also...(mid-fifties) I'm 100% vested with Aflac and living off of my renewals. I think Aflac policies are wonderful, but I just don't want to sell them anymore. I'm done.

Next Step! I want to sell Medicare Supps (and Advantage.) I know little to nothing about the field, or the products, but I'm keen to learn. Any advice, guidance, what to avoid?

I have talked to a couple of FMO's...I read articles that state how important it is to choose the RIGHT one, but truthfully, I'm so clueless, I don't know how to do that.

-Robin

PS I'm in New England; licensed in RI, MA, CT and I'm also licensed in Florida. A,H,L,P&C
Just curious.. Are you tired of AFLAC, the products or the marketing method? If just AFLAC, why not keep doing what you are doing as an Independent agent using other companies? You are already familiar with it and there is no learning curve.

Hello everyone,

-Robin

I would like to suggest starting out with MedicareTraining101.com and then go from there.

Rousemark: I'm not sure how to reply to individual responses, so forgive me if this answer is clumsy. I'm tired of voluntary products, period. One has to create the need, which I did, for a very long time. I think there is a level of burn-out with payroll deducted products. A lot of new players have jumped into this captive audience...LegalShield, etc.

Ive decided firmly I don't want to sell them anymore. It's Medicare for me. Thanks for answering!

Todd King: Thank you for that resource; I will definitely check it out.

Any thoughts on FMO's? I've spoken to a couple, but again, this is all new to me, and I'm unsure about what I should be looking for.

PS. I don't have stars in my eyes, guys. I know this will involve a learning curve, and I'm willing to invest whatever time, energy & money to getting where I want to be. Thanks again...

Rousemark: I'm not sure how to reply to individual responses, so forgive me if this answer is clumsy. I'm tired of voluntary products, period. One has to create the need, which I did, for a very long time. I think there is a level of burn-out with payroll deducted products. A lot of new players have jumped into this captive audience...LegalShield, etc.

Ive decided firmly I don't want to sell them anymore. It's Medicare for me. Thanks for answering!
I never really enjoyed the payroll market either but I do enjoy cancer/accident/CI on an individual basis.. Same products, different marketing. Good first year commission, great renewals. Much less government interference than medicare and much easier underwriting.. :yes:

Any thoughts on FMO's? I've spoken to a couple, but again, this is all new to me, and I'm unsure about what I should be looking for.

PS. I don't have stars in my eyes, guys. I know this will involve a learning curve, and I'm willing to invest whatever time, energy & money to getting where I want to be. Thanks again...
Todd is an FMO in that market..

BTW, when replying simply click on the blue "quote" button at the bottom right of any post and then type in your message below the quote that appears in the text box.

Yes....we are an FMO as well. Give me a call sometime and we can talk. I spent many years in the field selling Med Supps.

You are already 90% there.

Pick an FMO based on product training. You already know how to sell and get in front of people. Leads are nice, but its not what you need right now. You need to learn the product.

There are 2 paths for Medicare: T65 (virgins) and Underwriting. I would just start with virgins. And that doesn't necessarily mean T65. More and more people are waiting to retire until 66 and beyond. You can do underwriting next year.

Your cash flow is there, so you get that its a long game.

Learn Med Supp (and Medicare, read Medicare and You, too) and focus on that.

Do not assign your commissions.

Because they go hand in hand, I would also learn how Part D works. Not necessarily to sell it, but because you are going to get asked about it a lot and if you don't have the answers, they will find someone who will. And that person will also sell them their Med Supp.

Good luck!!!!

Back