Need Some Guidence

HDR

I just received my Florida P&C license. My goal is to have my own agency but I thought I should work for an Indy for a couple years to gain experience first. My understanding is it is difficult to get appointments without experience.

I have a friend that is a one man Indy shop. He has been very supportive and helpful with me getting my license. I have thought about approaching him and seeing if I could work for him and we create an agreement that would allow me to retain the bob I create. Obviously compensating him on every policy I write.

Since he is a one man shop I would be willing to pay for the expenses he would incur by bringing me into his business.

What things should I consider as well as ask him with an arrangement like this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

What things should I consider as well as ask him with an arrangement like this?

In the abstract there may be hundreds of things to consider.

I suggest you ask him if he wants to invite you into his business.

Then find out what HE wants.

Then come back to this thread and discuss those points and how you feel about them.

Make sense?

Then come back to this thread and discuss those points and how you feel about them.

Make sense?

Will do AdjusterJack....thx

Make sense?

Solid advice from adjusterjack. It is always proper to know what the other party has in mind before laying-out all of your cards. Don't give away too much too soon. Have an initial discussion with him and look for other agencies at the same time. Most are looking for good agents who can sell.

Also, you are wise to consider working for an established agency, although this Gentleman sounds like a one-man operation. Too many newly licensed P&C agents try to jump into the fire by wanting to open their own agencies, without experience. Some can do it but most struggle. You are wise to try to work for an established agency. All the best to you!

Thank you PhilL I will do that! :-)

----------

Solid advice from adjusterjack. It is always proper to know what the other party has in mind before laying-out all of your cards. Don't give away too much too soon. Have an initial discussion with him and look for other agencies at the same time. Most are looking for good agents who can sell.

Also, you are wise to consider working for an established agency, although this Gentleman sounds like a one-man operation. Too many newly licensed P&C agents try to jump into the fire by wanting to open their own agencies, without experience. Some can do it but most struggle. You are wise to try to work for an established agency. All the best to you!

PhilL do you think looking into a P&C Aggregator or Cluster Alliance would be beneficial to do?

HDR, Re: "PhilL do you think looking into a P&C Aggregator or Cluster Alliance would be beneficial to do?"
I just sent you a private message.

I wouldn't work for a one man shop. He probably has limited carriers, which means you close less.
Fine a medium sized shop and get a job. Just make sure you own your book.

I wouldn't work for a one man shop. He probably has limited carriers, which means you close less.
Fine a medium sized shop and get a job. Just make sure you own your book.

I'd be surprised if he found a medium sized independent that would let him keep his book. What would that agency gain?

I'd be surprised if he found a medium sized independent that would let him keep his book. What would that agency gain?

Usually they will work out a multiplier of the book for a buy out if you want to leave. Most people that leave can't bring their whole book (as they can't get appointed by all carriers). So the agency still wins. I've seen large agencies ask brokers 2X commission on any clients/books they want to take. As long as its negotiated in the contract prior to employment and everyone is on the same page. No issues.

Back