Need some prospecting help

hockeyrules101

WV
First off this is one of the most informative forums I have been on. I've been in the business for about 8 months and prospecting is by far one of the hardest things to do and do well. I work as a captive agent and my company does no advertising at all. I do my own marketing and advertising and the cost is adding up. I do get referrals but not enough to generate a more than average earning. My question is what is the best way to generate new prospect? How do you turn a person out in public into a possible client? How do you turn the person sitting next to you into a client? Generally I am looking for some of the best ways to approach people that are out and try to turn them into clients. I don't want to depend on family and friends. That will put me in the same situation in not developing enough clients. Any advice, tricks, tips are all greatly appreciated.

When I learned how to knock doors and cold call on businesses and homes, my prospecting troubles went away. I seriously have all the free leads I could ever want. Go out there and talk with people face to face, network, get referrals, just go out there and do it. I am telling you- it is easier than it sounds. It sounds tough to just pull something out of thin air, but really it is not.

Just be you..... people love sincerity..... start a "CONVERSATION" and you'll find that you can quickly and simply say what you do and how you help people. Think of it this way.... what problem do you solve for people.

Here's and example..... I work primarily in the group market, so when people ask what I do I might say "I help disabled executives keep their income."

Anyway, come up with some one-liners, open-ended...... "Happy with your health insurance" No one says yes.

When all else fails.... just say "Need any insurance?" It has been stated that 5% of the public is looking to buy insurance at any given minute.... so eventually you'll find one of those 5%'er's

Here's and example..... I work primarily in the group market, so when people ask what I do I might say "I help disabled executives keep their income."

Anyway, come up with some one-liners, open-ended...... "Happy with your health insurance" No one says yes.

This is the kind of crap that gives our business (as well as many others) a bad name.

It's time to put these "elevator pitches" to bed for good. It's 2008, and this kind of crap is OUT (not to mention not effective.) You pull dukey like this with a better quality prospect and they'll roll their eyes...and run away. It's an information economy now - and you better adapt!

If you can't do better than this...time to think retirement. You'll have a LOT of time to read Zig Ziglar books.

Honesty is the best policy, and coming up with a "cute" one-liner is career sabatoge.

When someone asks you what you do, simply respond,

"I'm an insurance agent, what do you do?"

I book myself as a speaker at civic organizations, church groups, and YMCA's, to talk on the general topic of health insurance. I have a sign in sheet. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 people, other times I get 20.

When I follow up, I simply ask, "Was there any specific information you wanted me to send your way?" and "Is it okay if I keep you on my e-mail list for my future presentations?"

100% profit. No cost to me, and they call when THEY are ready. Some will be right away, others may take 8 to 10 months. Some may refer others to you.

100% profit. No cost to me, and they call when THEY are ready. Some will be right away, others may take 8 to 10 months. Some may refer others to you.

Better watch out 'cause somarco will jump on you for that one, did when I said my leads were free because there was no out of pocket cost...

....there's always your time, that's gotta be worth something right?

The biggest tip I can give is follow up, find as many creative ways as possible to stay infront of prospects. Every contact you make is valuable, and can lead to more prospects, but not if they don't remember you! Newsletters, and other automated ways to keep infront of prospects are really useful.

This is the kind of crap that gives our business (as well as many others) a bad name.

It's time to put these "elevator pitches" to bed for good. It's 2008, and this kind of crap is OUT (not to mention not effective.) You pull dukey like this with a better quality prospect and they'll roll their eyes...and run away. It's an information economy now - and you better adapt!

If you can't do better than this...time to think retirement. You'll have a LOT of time to read Zig Ziglar books.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread and ask an unasked question to you specifically:

As you think that this approach is outdated, and gives the industry a bad name, what would you say?

I'm not looking to flame anyone, but critisim is cheap.

I agree. I always felt it would be dishonest. I prefer to look em in the eye and say I am a life insurance agent.

Back