Negotiating with an IMO/FMO

right because it makes you captive correct, then you don't have as many carriers and products to help a client with.

No. Just because you park a contract under an IMO/FMO does not mean you are captive with them.

Being independent just means that you can put a contract with whom you like and where you like without your present (or future) uplines telling you where/when to do it.

No. Just because you park a contract under an IMO/FMO does not mean you are captive with them.

Being independent just means that you can put a contract with whom you like and where you like without your present (or future) uplines telling you where/when to do it.

Right, I was talking about when you contracted yourself directly with a carrier instead of going through an IMO.

I am saying going directly through a carrier would that make you captive, or are some carriers just causes that the way they are

Right, I was talking about when you contracted yourself directly with a carrier instead of going through an IMO.

I am saying going directly through a carrier would that make you captive, or are some carriers just causes that the way they are

Actually, most carriers are not captive organizations. If the insurance company is captive then you would probably be captive even if you are under an agency or not.

Keep in mind that you can be captive with a company or you can be captive with an agency.

You seem to be struggling with understanding this. Give me a call sometime and I think I can help you understand.

It does not sound like you are understanding 'Independent'. Which is understandable in the insurance world. Take Todd's offer and have a conversation.

Actually, most carriers are not captive organizations. If the insurance company is captive then you would probably be captive even if you are under an agency or not.

Keep in mind that you can be captive with a company or you can be captive with an agency.

You seem to be struggling with understanding this. Give me a call sometime and I think I can help you understand.

Thanks. I have an understanding of it just for some reason when I type it it reads weird.

Like for example, LH I have heard is captive so you can only sell there FE product, but all there agents are independent (run there own business)

Thanks. I have an understanding of it just for some reason when I type it it reads weird.

Like for example, LH I have heard is captive so you can only sell there FE product, but all there agents are independent (run there own business)

LH - Not sure that is correct. I think a couple guys here have or had contracts with them. I am pretty sure I could get one.

An IMO may require captive.

Last edited:
LH - Not sure that is correct. I think a couple guys here have or had contracts with them. I am pretty sure I could get one.

An IMO may require captive.

maybe that is what I heard about LH, but I was told they have a weird system. Certain IMO's for them have different terretories and the guy who have Florida may be in Washington or something like that.

Back