NeighborhoodScout’s Most Dangerous Cities-2016

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
The research reveals the 100 most dangerous cities in America with 25,000 or more people, based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Violent crimes include murder, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault. Data used for this research are 1) the number of violent crimes reported to the FBI to have occurred in each city, and 2) the population of each city.

1. East St. Louis, IL (2015 Rank: N/A)
2. Camden, NJ (2015 Rank: 1)
3. Detroit, MI (2015 Rank: 3)
4. Alexandria, LA (2015 Rank: 11)
5. Wilmington, DE (2015 Rank: 9)
6. Memphis, TN (2015 Rank: 10)
7. Flint, MI (2015 Rank: 7)
8. Saginaw, MI (2015 Rank: 4)
9. Oakland, CA (2015 Rank: 5)
10. St. Louis, MO (2015 Rank: 14)

Check the link to see the complete 100-city list.

I wonder how much actuaries take living in a high-crime city into account, equating to higher life insurance rates (because you are more likely to die in a violent crime), higher health insurance rates (because you are more likely to be injured as a result of a violent crime), higher home insurance rates (more likely your home is robbed), higher auto insurance rates (more likely to be a victim of a carjacking) or all of the above?

Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout

The research reveals the 100 most dangerous cities in America with 25,000 or more people, based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Violent crimes include murder, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault. Data used for this research are 1) the number of violent crimes reported to the FBI to have occurred in each city, and 2) the population of each city. 1. East St. Louis, IL (2015 Rank: N/A) 2. Camden, NJ (2015 Rank: 1) 3. Detroit, MI (2015 Rank: 3) 4. Alexandria, LA (2015 Rank: 11) 5. Wilmington, DE (2015 Rank: 9) 6. Memphis, TN (2015 Rank: 10) 7. Flint, MI (2015 Rank: 7) 8. Saginaw, MI (2015 Rank: 4) 9. Oakland, CA (2015 Rank: 5) 10. St. Louis, MO (2015 Rank: 14) Check the link to see the complete 100-city list. I wonder how much actuaries take living in a high-crime city into account, equating to higher life insurance rates (because you are more likely to die in a violent crime), higher health insurance rates (because you are more likely to be injured as a result of a violent crime), higher home insurance rates (more likely your home is robbed), higher auto insurance rates (more likely to be a victim of a carjacking) or all of the above? Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout
There are home carriers that refuse to insure inside Memphis city limits due to the high theft claims.

Buffalo and Niagara Falls were #36 & 38 two of the carriers in my rating system will not return a quote for zip codes in those areas, every time I try I get an error message. I have been told by several carriers not to write anything in that part of the state. I had one lady accuse me of "red-lining" her because I sold her relative in another part of the state a policy with a certain company but I could not write anything with this company in Buffalo and she wanted the same company her relative had.

I have two carriers that dropped out of a certain geographic area of about 1.5 sq mi because the crime rate was too high.

And it wasn't any of the 3 listed cities in MI on that list.

Last edited:
Back