Networking Presentations

SingingSabre

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I managed to win an 8 minute speaking slot for my networking group. I've given a number of presentations in front of this group before, so I'm looking for new ideas.

If you had 8 minutes in front of businesspeople to talk about any aspect of your business, which 3-4 points would you hit on?

Thanks!

If you have already presented a bunch to the group, odds are that they already know what you do and what a referral looks like for you. Do something fun, with stuff they probably already know about your business, like a jeopardy game. Bring a bag of candy and give it out for correct answers.

If they already know what you do... then what I would do is use STORIES with real clients to show the additional value that you add. It would be even better if you talk about stories from the referrals your group has ALREADY given you... to help elicit more.

The stories will stick in their minds better than whatever trivia you come up with... and it shows that you care about people to improve their situation.

It will show that you care and can be trusted with people's financial affairs... which makes you trustworthy.

If they already know what you do... then what I would do is use STORIES with real clients to show the additional value that you add. It would be even better if you talk about stories from the referrals your group has ALREADY given you... to help elicit more.

The stories will stick in their minds better than whatever trivia you come up with... and it shows that you care about people to improve their situation.

It will show that you care and can be trusted with people's financial affairs... which makes you trustworthy.

I like this.

Thanks!

Stories are indeed the most sticky way to get people involved and to remember you.

Will you have any display in your presentation? Whiteboard, PowerPoint?

I sometimes use the story of a client who was about to follow my advice for his retirement funds, but instead decided to invest with Alan Stanford. If you are familiar with Stanford, he is now serving 110 years for bilking people out of every penny they had saved.

As I start the story, I have a PowerPoint slide with a picture of my client (with his permission) and a picture of a man in an orange, prison jump-suit and handcuffs. That gets immediate interest. The contrast between the amiable looking guy in a blue, button-down collar shirt and a scruffy looking guy in handcuffs is stark.

I start the story with how the client called me after losing everything to say he regretted not taking my advice. When asked why he took the chance, he said that he actually flew down to Antigua to check them out. He talked about how he looked around the bank, tapped on the granite counters, noticed the fine mahogany, and asked the VP how they could pay 2 points more on CDs than in the U.S. Their reply was "We don't have as much overhead as the U.S." The client said that made a lot of sense to him. I asked him whether he realized that part of that overhead he would have paid in the U.S. was for FDIC insurance. He said he realized it now. He lost his entire $1 million retirement.

I then talk about how the client was an engineer and looked at investing as an engineer -he looked at marginal returns and granite counters rather than safety.

Anyway, the point here is to have your own story that has drama, gets your listeners involved instantly, and shows how you helped solve a problem. In the case of my story, the problem would have been solved if only....

Truly, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:

Attachments

• Allen-Stanford.jpg
    Allen-Stanford.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21
Great idea on the stories. Another good idea is to rehash why you can be trusted with their business - everyone needs to know, like and trust you before they refer you business, and going back over your background and history is ALWAYS a good use of a networking presentation.

That goes double if your group has potential new members and/or guests present.

Back