Networking with health care providers

Christo8pherS

Hey everybody -- first time poster here and looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

Has anyone had success networking with health care providers in your area? There are over 60 hospitals in a 100 mile radius of where I am based (Charlotte, NC) and hundreds more doctor's offices that I want to link up with as their go-to person for people in need of Medicare Supplements.

Would love to hear what methods you used, who in particular you tried to get in contact with (administrators, nurses, desk people, etc.) and any other information you can provide.

Thanks!

Thanks Chumps,

I'm trying to develop a strategy to get the word out to the most people. I'm thinking if properly executed, it could bring out a couple of hundred supplements just from people in open enrollment for medicare or disability.

Will still need to figure out the best way to reach, and incentives, if any. Would be more than happy to collaborate with others for similar ideas in their area.

It can be a great strategy but don't think you invented it.

I worked for Secure Horizons about 10 years ago and that was a big part of our marketing plans. Most reps did not do it very well however.

What you might want to do is tell the office staff that you are here to help their patients with problems with their insurance and/or MA plans. By telling them you represent virtually every carrier and want to help, you may benefit by receiving referrals. At the very least, by helping these patients, you are in a position to move them to a better plan sometime in the future.

Rick

Captive -- I would just do mailers with my company's letterhead.
Didn't know you were captive. Forget everything I posted.

Mailers will do absolutely NOTHING!

Seeing a provider with the idea that you will help their patients enroll in a good plan will do absolutely NOTHING!

Helping patients with their insurance problems will gain trust with the provider and might help you with referrals.

Rick

I'm not too worried about representing just one company. When it comes to Medicare Supplements, particularly the J plan, we are competitive if not with the best rates.

Interesting tips though, thank you.

I'm not too worried about representing just one company. When it comes to Medicare Supplements, particularly the J plan, we are competitive if not with the best rates.

Interesting tips though, thank you.
Why would anyone pay for Plan J when they could have Plan F - or better yet, Plan D or G? However...

What is the benefit to the physician by moving their patients onto your plan? No company pays better than another and the doctor is not in the business of selling insurance.

There needs to be a reason for the provider to recommend you rather than just saying "go to AARP." You have to add value and just saying your price is lower is NOT adding value to the doctor.

By the way, I don't disagree with interacting with physicians but you need to give them a compelling reason to work with you.

Rick

Humana has been doing that for years...working with Dr offices.

More of a customer service position that you do not get paid for, but you will get a few referrals here and there.

The only way I can see you really benefiting by working with Dr's if you have a SNP MA that is new to the area and the Dr is in network.

Example - Diabetic program with $0 co-pay for the podiatry visits...that may entice the Dr to have patients look at the plan. Advantage for the Dr is more frequent visits and more money for him/her.

Word of Caution:
Before you waste your time with out lying offices, as if they are considered rural by Medicare. Medicare pays rural providers more for accepting Medicare. However, they cannot endorse or even mention plan names, or they may forfeit the extra money.

Back