New 19 year old Agent looking for guidance

Rob Lion

Guru
Hey, i stumbled upon this forum not too long ago and I've gotten a lot of valuable resources from the forums so far, so i finally decided to make an account and ask questions i have.
I've only been an agent for a few months, and mostly everything i have learned so far as came from reading articles and really trying to master my craft on my own time the company i work for is Bankers life, which i'm looking to get completely away from as soon as possible. I'm only licensed in L/H and i'm looking to go independent what exactly are my options? should i go get my P&C and go captive? i'm extremely lost on what i should do to make this a career, right now mainly the FA role is what has my upmost interest any advice or criticism would be very appreciated.

I am also new to the industry, but a little older than you. I just started training with US Health Advisors. The training is 8 weeks long; and the first year will be the toughest. I have made a pledge with myself to give this experience a year, before I make any changes to my career trajectory. I am hoping I won’t need to make any changes, but if I do it will be because I gave it my all on my part to make it work.

You have only been with the company for a month. My advice is give it more time. People will answer your post putting your employer down, or how they do business. It’s never a good idea to put your employer down on open forums; it doesn’t make the detractor look good. People can only speak from their experiences and this field is way to big to take one experience as the one and true way that company does business.

Always good to ask questions, know multiple sides of the same issue and grow in knowledge. I hope this is helpful to you.

Pattybelieves

I am also new to the industry, but a little older than you. I just started training with US Health Advisors. The training is 8 weeks long; and the first year will be the toughest. I have made a pledge with myself to give this experience a year, before I make any changes to my career trajectory. I am hoping I won’t need to make any changes, but if I do it will be because I gave it my all on my part to make it work.

You have only been with the company for a month. My advice is give it more time. People will answer your post putting your employer down, or how they do business. It’s never a good idea to put your employer down on open forums; it doesn’t make the detractor look good. People can only speak from their experiences and this field is way to big to take one experience as the one and true way that company does business.

Always good to ask questions, know multiple sides of the same issue and grow in knowledge. I hope this is helpful to you.

Pattybelieves
What does Patty believe? :huh:

Welcome to the Forum.

Hey, i stumbled upon this forum not too long ago and I've gotten a lot of valuable resources from the forums so far, so i finally decided to make an account and ask questions i have.
I've only been an agent for a few months, and mostly everything i have learned so far as came from reading articles and really trying to master my craft on my own time the company i work for is Bankers life, which i'm looking to get completely away from as soon as possible. I'm only licensed in L/H and i'm looking to go independent what exactly are my options? should i go get my P&C and go captive? i'm extremely lost on what i should do to make this a career, right now mainly the FA role is what has my upmost interest any advice or criticism would be very appreciated.
If Bankers Life isn't teaching you anything, what's the advantage of staying there? Also, some of the things that they might teach you are things that might get you in trouble. They have a TERRIBLE reputation. I'd leave now and go Independent, which will allow you to make higer commissions and have more and better options for your prospects/clients.

I wouldn't even think about P & C at this point. Learn the Life and Health 1st. That'll keep your brain busy enough for a while.

There are plenty of good FMO's on the Forum that can help you.

Welcome to the Forum. :yes:

What does Patty believe? :huh:

Welcome to the Forum.
I believe in balancing Spiritually, Mentally and Physically. That doesn’t mean that I always choose to spend time with the Lord instead of watching TV. Or, read good books instead of looking on Facebook. Or, working in the garden/exercising, instead of being a couch . It does mean I try my best.

Pattybelieves

Bankers Life does have a certain reputation. I do want to ask a very specific question: Why do you want to be independent? Are you trying to get away FROM something? Or moving TOWARDS something?

This is a knowledge, skills, and words business. Either you have the knowledge, skills, and words... or you don't. Until you do, regardless of where you go, you will have limited success.

I am biased, but this sticky thread is still current - and LOTS of YouTube videos posted here:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

If you'd like to get the skills and tools WITHOUT relying on a company to sell for, I have my favorite resources:

Sid Walker & Selling Without Wrestling (FREE! - normally $47/month):
www.sidwalker.com
www.sellingwithoutwrestling.com

Insurance Pro Shop's Members Only Site (lots of VIDEO training for $30/month):
https://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurance-marketing-sales-resource-center/

Insurance Pro Shop's Mortgage Insurance Tool Kit (fits a "mortgage protection" market):
Mortgage Insurance Leads and Mortgage Insurance Sales Training

OR Insurance Pro Shop's Found Money Management (a little more advanced/financial planning type approach):
The Best Life Insurance Agent Training Program and System

Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referrals ($37 for the mp3 download):
Products

In my opinion, there is no better way AND no cheaper way to get started to learning the skills you need - particularly for the independent agent.

THEN you begin to look for contracts and companies to sell for.

Pattybelieves,

I believe you have an incorrect viewpoint on this. The insurance sales industry is not the same as traditional employment. Allow me to explain:

We brand ourselves according to the phrase "birds of a feather flock together". It's not hard to see things that one is uncomfortable with.

In this business we choose who to align ourselves and our reputations with. If we see things we don't like, we should either speak up, or leave. It's not uncommon.

In fact, it's our job to interview the interviewer... because WE have the higher risk - risk to our incomes, risk to our reputations, etc.

Traditional employment thinking... doesn't work for insurance selling.

As far as sharing information about certain employers or career agencies - that's what this forum is FOR. Share the good, bad, and the ugly. This is so that the entire industry can improve on this - because companies DO read these forums. If there's something going wrong, let them improve on it. WE represent the agency marketplace - and if there's something we don't like, this is our way of sharing it.

I suppose we should unionize? lol.

If Bankers Life isn't teaching you anything, what's the advantage of staying there? Also, some of the things that they might teach you are things that might get you in trouble. They have a TERRIBLE reputation. I'd leave now and go Independent, which will allow you to make higer commissions and have more and better options for your prospects/clients.

I wouldn't even think about P & C at this point. Learn the Life and Health 1st. That'll keep your brain busy enough for a while.

There are plenty of good FMO's on the Forum that can help you.

Welcome to the Forum. :yes:
That's why i started posting on this forum, I'm very lost to where to go and I'm fully aware to Bankers propaganda they spread through out the company.

Bankers Life does have a certain reputation. I do want to ask a very specific question: Why do you want to be independent? Are you trying to get away FROM something? Or moving TOWARDS something?

This is a knowledge, skills, and words business. Either you have the knowledge, skills, and words... or you don't. Until you do, regardless of where you go, you will have limited success.

I am biased, but this sticky thread is still current - and LOTS of YouTube videos posted here:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

If you'd like to get the skills and tools WITHOUT relying on a company to sell for, I have my favorite resources:

Sid Walker & Selling Without Wrestling (FREE! - normally $47/month):
www.sidwalker.com
www.sellingwithoutwrestling.com

Insurance Pro Shop's Members Only Site (lots of VIDEO training for $30/month):
The Leading Insurance Marketing And Sales Training For Today's Advisors

Insurance Pro Shop's Mortgage Insurance Tool Kit (fits a "mortgage protection" market):
Mortgage Insurance Leads and Mortgage Insurance Sales Training

OR Insurance Pro Shop's Found Money Management (a little more advanced/financial planning type approach):
The Best Life Insurance Agent Training Program and System

Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referrals ($37 for the mp3 download):
Products

In my opinion, there is no better way AND no cheaper way to get started to learning the skills you need - particularly for the independent agent.

THEN you begin to look for contracts and companies to sell for.
To be completely honest, their is two answers to that question 1. i see this as a long term career more than anything and seeing myself at a company for years and then i get fired and lose my book of business doesn't sound appealing to me. 2. I'm speaking from bankers life specifically they don't let me be my own boss or try new things, business is always changing a majority of my sales currently have been from cold emailing and social media which they highly disapprove of "You should be door knocking and cold calling, don't replace what you're supposed to do everyday with what you want" - My Manager. I'm honestly looking for a mentor to help me through this i'm trying to absorb as much as i can but its difficult to learn the independent business haha.

Pattybelieves,

I believe you have an incorrect viewpoint on this. The insurance sales industry is not the same as traditional employment. Allow me to explain:

We brand ourselves according to the phrase "birds of a feather flock together". It's not hard to see things that one is uncomfortable with.

In this business we choose who to align ourselves and our reputations with. If we see things we don't like, we should either speak up, or leave. It's not uncommon.

In fact, it's our job to interview the interviewer... because WE have the higher risk - risk to our incomes, risk to our reputations, etc.

Traditional employment thinking... doesn't work for insurance selling.
I understand what you are saying. So, how do we find out, as a new agents who has a good reputation? What does a good reputation mean? My CEO won CEO of the year, is that a good indication? Can a company be liked by consumers and hated by its agents? Our motto is H.O.P.E. Helping other people everyday. During the interview process they told me how this would be a long term career; and the average agent had been there over 3 years.

I have no reputation, because I am new. My personal brand is new in this industry. I will be an asset to the team, but how will they know unless they give me a chance; and I give them a chance?

Pattybelieves

Back